Stopcock upcock puzzle

Hi

Water stopcock inside a house is seized. No movement by hand, just a little with a tool.

No stopcock in the street, either never was one or it has since been paved over.

Cant even get access to the supply pipe outdoors, as the interior pipe disappears into the concrete floor inside the building, which way it goes from there is anyone's guess, and its structures or hard standing in every direction.

Where does one go from here?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The way I went was to call in the local water company and avail myself of their fixed price "We'll fit you a nice new lever valve" service! £79.99 (about 3 years ago) and it took the guy over 3 hours. Parts included.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I just phoned Yorkshire Water when this happened to me and they came and installed a stop tap in the street for free.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Buy a freezer pack and a new stop tap, freeze the pipe below the old one, chop it off, affix new tap, then connect back up, with a small section of pipe to take the place of the old tap and your done.

Reply to
Phil L

And hope to hell you can do it before the ice plug thaws!

Reply to
John Stumbles

3 hours + in my experience....thought the bugger would never thaw out!

A note to the OP: If you go down this route, make sure there is no water running through the pipe prior to freezing, flowing water doesn't freeze too well! - this means dripping showers and taps, also toilet cisterns, outside taps, ponds, header tanks etc, basically everything that uses water should be checked to see that it's not demanding water from the main supply.

Reply to
Phil L

Time for a water meter?

Reply to
Autolycus

I've used freezers a couple of times & had to wait at least half an hour for a cup of tea!

These freezer kits are good if you follow the instructions.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Fill up the kettle before starting work next time.. :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Is it a lead supply? If so, might be time for a free lead replacement.

auctions

Ongoing dribbles plus no noticeable plumbing skills means I wouldnt dare try the freezer approach.

I'll do a 2nd reccy for any signs of a concreted over access point, then call in the water co. Or a handyman... not often i do that these days.

Thanks everyone!

NT

Reply to
meow2222