Stihl recoil rope query

My trusty Stihl 400 start rope has snapped I replaced it but it is to short. How do you get enough string on the rewind pulley. How long should it be.

Reply to
tom patton

Assuming you have the right size of cord available, thinner diameter can jump off the side of the pulley or, worse, sit "doubled" on the pulley gradually cracking it apart.

Fix it on the pulley and wind it on against the spring, when the rope has filled the pulley there should still be at least half a turn before the recoil is spring bound when the starter cord is fully extended, i.e. make sure the spring still has enough give once all the string is extended so that the rope length is the thing that stops the spring being tightened further.

I normally keep a reel of the stuff to make repairs, I find it easier to mount the rope in the starter and then fix the length by the knot in the starter handle, cutting off excess to waste.

AJH

Reply to
sylva