Stereo (OT)

How many would admit hearing the train going right to left?

Reply to
polygonum

Medium wave for the left and TV BBC 405 lines for the right was it now;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Pros use a ping pong game. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Analogue TV sound for the front pair and digital TV sound for the rear pair for that concert-hall reverberation effect :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That sounds about right to me.

I also remember visiting the annual Audio Fair, held at Hotel Russell, in 1967. They had a demonstration of Ambiophony, which used front and rear speakers in an attempt to recreate the ambience of the original location.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

"Thank you for buying this *Akai* tape recorder. This is the sound of a Japanese steam locomotive."

I wish I could find that tape...

Reply to
John Williamson

FM was around at the time. But not in stereo.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have an early Akai reel to reel which still works very well - and kept for transcribing 1/4 track stuff, as my 'proper' recorders are half track.

The instructions say something like:-

"If problem experienced help will be got by the agent stamped on the backside".

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

new living area. "

Me too. I still use a pair of KEFkit 3 (Concerto) speakers I helped to build in

1971. They are in the front room. I'm also planning to use another pair of old KEF Concertos to be mounted high up in the new kitchen much as you describe.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I've got the recorder, but at some point between my brother buying it new and me inheriting it, the original sales tape has gone missing. It works as well as it ever did, but it *is* one of the cheaper ones. The Philips EL3541 also works, rather surprisingly, considering the habit their belts and idlers have of turning into goo at the drop of a hat. possibly the decades in South Africa's dry rarified air helped.

Reply to
John Williamson

If it's anything like the idlers on computer tape drives, the type of atmospheric conditions that they're subjected to seems to make no difference - some of them just go bad, even from the same manufacturer and time period :-(

Reply to
Jules Richardson

If it's anything like the idlers on computer tape drives, the type of atmospheric conditions that they're subjected to seems to make no difference - some of them just go bad, even from the same manufacturer and time period :-(

Reply to
Jules Richardson

That's plausible. I've got another Philips recorder from the same era that's totally borked due to the idler problem. That one lived in Yorkshire, though. The EL3301 cassette recorder I found in a junk shop in Uxbridge is working fine after a new set of belts a few years ago.

Reply to
John Williamson

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012, "DerbyBorn" writ:

I've got one! The original "Journey into Stereo Sound" and it still sounds great today. Shame they can't make recordings sound so "real" today.

Reply to
Percy

Some radio 4 plays are pretty good on a good stereo. You know, the door cli= cks and you look round, etc. A few years ago they broadcast something that was recorded using the model = head method and to be listened to with headphones. Was supposed to be remar= kably realistic due to the back/front/up/down information related to the no= n-polar response of the ears being available to the listener. What you really need is the audio equivalent of a hologram, so you are actu= ally "in" the original audio environment. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

and you look round, etc.

head method and to be listened to with headphones. Was supposed to be remarkably realistic due to the back/front/up/down information related to the non-polar response of the ears being available to the listener.

actually "in" the original audio environment.

Was that Andrew Sachs - ?The Revenge? (1978)?

Reply to
polygonum

Here you go ...

I've also got the same tape somewhere (if not munched up by the squirrels...)

Reply to
Adrian C

That's the one. It looks like the same type of tape recorder I've got, too.

Now, why couldn't I find that clip?

Could be fun.

Reply to
John Williamson

Those Audio Fidelity records were good fun, the train, the sinking submarine the Russian roulette etc.

Rather over the t>> DerbyBorn wrote:

Reply to
Brian Gaff

[Snip]

I had the 1812 Overture with real cannon, backed with various test tracks including: "Musician's A, Four Hundred and Forty cycles per second - US Government standard"

Reply to
charles