Steel baths

Page 1 of 2
Looking for a new bath at the moment, just plain, nothing fancy. I was surprised to find a pressed steel bath is cheaper than a plastic bath -- I had expected the opposite. Does anyone have any views on the pros and cons of pressed steel verses plastic baths?
--
Andrew Gabriel

Add pictures here
βœ–

The Natural Philosopher said this in the 're-enamel' thread:
My final thoughts on baths are
(i) cast irion is cold, chips, rusts and lookes orrible, (ii) Cheap pressed steel isslightly less cold, but otherwise still as bad, and flexes badly. (iii) Cheap plastic is warm, but otherwise as bad as cheap steel (iv) large thick cast resin baths are the best of the lot. If they chip, at least the resin fix is using the same material the bath was made of.
Read the other thread for more.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I think they knock spots off plastic baths. The edges are squarer and they don't flex. One pro is that they are said to be conduct heat away quicker but I always try to insulate behind and under the baths I put in anyway. One of the tile & bathroom chains is selling the ubiquitous Kaldewei make for £55, any size!
Add pictures here
βœ–
BillR wrote:

They do! They are as flexible as a Fiat Punto bonnet!

Add pictures here
βœ–
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

flex..... Are you talking about something B&Q sell ?
Add pictures here
βœ–
BillR wrote:

Probably.
The thicker ones are just COLD.

Add pictures here
βœ–

I bought the B&Q steel bath. It was by Kaldewei. It was excellent. No flexing at all and cheaper than the nasty plastic one. The steel one has the advantage that it can't be moulded into all sorts of nasty shapes by Austrian blind loving bath designers with a sea shell fixation.
Christian.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Is this recently (wondering if that's what I'll get if I order from B&Q now)?
Also, how heavy is it -- is it a one-person job lifting it and moving it into place?
--
Andrew Gabriel

Add pictures here
βœ–
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The 'standard' Kaldewei is light and easy. You can wear it on your back to carry it upstairs if needed. One person is OK for weight, but thsize makes it slightly awkward.
--
Toby.

βœ–

It was a couple of years ago. It was the same price as the equivalent plastic bath.

I could shift it on my own, but needed help to get it into position as it was a very tight fit (i.e. cutting slots into the wall) and needed careful and accurate positioning.
Christian.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thank you, Neil>
Add pictures here
βœ–
Niel A. Farrow wrote:

Tile & Bath World. Branches in Newbury, Cheltenham, Feltham, Reading (01189 512722) etc Actually it was £53 but not sure if that included vat. ... I was astonished and miffed as I'd paid >£120 for same bath a year ago from bathstore.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

were offering was the basic Kaldewei at £99. Salesman claimed it was "A bargain.. Usually £153"
"Heard they were doing them for less than £60" said I. "Come off it, Mate. You must be joking. At that price we would be selling them for less than we paid".
Ververka
Add pictures here
βœ–
BillR wrote:

So that would actually be a "con" then?
These are "pros"

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
BillR wrote:

I imagine this is the 2.5mm 'contract' bath.
Most Kaldewei ones are 3.8 mm (IIRC), and much stronger for it. They typically cost £150 upwards.
Not sure if the up-spec the enamaling as well on the 'proper' ones.
IanC
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's a con (against) not a pro (for).
Considering the relative heat capacities of water, metal and plastic I don't really believe that a steel bath makes your bath water cooler by any significant amount.

βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

You're right I meant to say con. I agree with you on the heat loss too. There has been no complaints from swmbo, who likes baths, that it is any colder than the plastic one it replaced. You can always insulate around the bath anyway. I've seen that done effectively but in that case the bath was against an external wall.
I cunning scheme I saw in a new build was a finned skirting type heater underneath the long front edge of the bath. The bath panel, which seemed to be part of the system, was also metal with a grill along the top edge. It looked good and is apparently very effective. Its instead of a separate radiator so I guess saves space. There was no other rad
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Consider one of these: (Sorry, you'll have to unwrap the link)
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID &User_ID841006&st—70&st2V161295&st3=-43243813&Product_ID@92&CATID1
Take care,
John.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Both vile. Cast iron or thick cast plastic.
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Cast iron has the strength of old putty, I know I recently smashed one up with a sledge hammer. Look great for arty makeover TV programs, but in the average family household they're impractical. Thick cast plastic I don't know about but it probably costs a bomb and isn't readily available.
Add pictures here
βœ–