Steel balls

How did I know that would get your attention?

For the gentleman looking to drill and tap a steel ball.... I have just unearthed a small store of 23mm bearing balls. (Ex Case tractor axle ISTR).

Free to good home:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I wonder what happened to my home-made Newtons cradle? (Except I ground a flat on the balls and brazed brass nuts to them.)

Reply to
Huge

I heard that some program like Mythbusters tested various sizes of steel balls for Newton's cradles, and as the balls got bigger they bounced worse. Did anyone see that?

I suspect that steel balls the size of cannon balls would damage themselves, and be too dangerous to be touched by the public. I did some tests on bouncing 25mm steel rod which looked promising. I was going to put the rods inside light plastic balls.

Reply to
Matty F