Squirrels digging in plantpots - how to stop them

A few days ago, I found that a plantpot containing a lovingly rescued plant (nearly killed last year, by vine weevil) had been half emptied, and with the soil and pieces of the plant scattered all around. The most likely culprit was the local neighbourhood squirrel.

Accordingly, I applied my usual squirrel deterrent, ie I re-filled the plantpot with sprigs of spiky holly leaves hidden buried in the compost.

The following morning there were some signs of digging, with one of the holly sprigs exposed - but nothing resembling the major excavations of the previous day. So I re-buried the holly, and levelled the compost.

Since then, there has been no repetition of the digging.

In the past, I've found such anti-squirrel measures very effective. If you have several plantpots, you don't need to bury holly in all of them. You only need to do one or two pots. I presume that once pricked, a squirrel treats then all nearly plantpots as no-go areas.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Some chicken wire or similar wrapped over the top of the pot and around the stem perhaps. Works for me. The folk at uk rec gardening might have some more up to date ideas. Otherwise 12 bore (aka Jasper Carrot) or angle grinder.

Reply to
Nick

In message , Nick writes

Yes, it's bound to work - but you'll need to do every plantpot.

I'll have a look. However, as a have lots of holly, it's the obvious choice of squirrel deterrent.

I disapprove of violence.

Indeed. First, catch your squirrel - then apply angle grinder.

Surprisingly, it's not one of those situations where WD40 (which I usually recommend) is likely to help very much.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Yes its much less of an issue to small landmines I think.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I tried that (just happened to have some handy when we had a squirrel in the loft). It didn't put it off, the little B***** still came back and chewed things at 2am.