Special keyboard

I'd like a 'normal' USB keyboard that only has the up and down arrows. Preferably larger keys than normal. How easy to make one? My thoughts were to start with a normal keyboard for the electronics and make up a box with just the two press switches.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I reckon that is the easiest way...

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you choose carefully you should be able to find one where the arrow keys form a neat cluster and provided you are prepared to sacrifice the ^ and v keys could be made triple size fairly easily.

The MS keyboard I am using now has such a configuration. You couldn't do much about the full set on the numeric keypad though.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I'm happy to make up a little box with two generic push switches and just use the electronics from a keyboard. They're cheap enough, after all. But wondered if it really is as simple as this? I've never really looked at how they work. A circuit diagram of one would perhaps make it clear to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depending on the layout it might be possible to hacksaw the majority of the keyboard away from the interface logic leaving a very small PCB for the essential bits.

Starting with a keyboard is way cheaper than buying the hardware to interface your own keys

've used these on a number of CNC machine tools a few years ago, they are available cheaper in the USA but I can't find a working link right now.

Reply to
The Other Mike

You mean you have never spilt wine, tea or coffee over one and had to dismantle it for cleaning? Milk usually does for them as the rancid smell becomes intolerable after a while. Wine and black coffee are usually recoverable with a good wash and plenty of drying time.

The only thing I can think of is there might be a limit on the length of cable that you can run from the board to external device. And obviously you are stuck with rather large keyboard sized PCB.

A better choice might be to mechanically alter a compact dedicated numeric keypad sold for touch typists to use with laptops eg.

Martin Brown

on 10/05/2012, Dave Plowman (News) supposed :

It is that simple - no circuit needed, just connect across the correct pads. The cheap modern keyboards are just a conductive rubber pad making contact across two PCB tracks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've done this where I wanted a headless system, but the BIOS on the system had no option to skip keyboard test, and I didn't want a keyboard. I took a keyboard, and sawed off the 1" square circuit board corner with the cable connection and IC under a blob of rubber. I put it in a potting box, and added a push button, which was connected across the keyboard grid at the F1 key position, giving me a tiny keyboard with just the F1 key, which the BIOS occasionally requires to skip past other errors at boot.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

what no QWERTYUIOP at all?

sounds like a plan.

I've got a couple of MAC keyboards the cars pissed on you could pirate..

Alternatively its an arduino project.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Discovery Arm CortexM4 at £10 from RS is cheaper, but the learning curve to implement a HID keyboard from scratch would be very steep.

of the demo package is a (bad) implementation of a mouse using the onboard 3-axis accelerometer. Strikes me that this kit with copious I/O and lower price is actually better suited to the education market (physics teaching) than the much more heavily over hyped raspberry pi. There is a slightly cheaper much less powerful one for about £8.

I ended up using the IAR development environment since it was the first one where the download of the toolkit actually worked as advertised!

Reply to
Martin Brown

It's just a matrix with a switch at each cross point. Most keyborads just have small board with the controller chip and USB or PS/2 interface. The hard bit is probably buzzing out which two points need to be connected for each key you want.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Option a) Get a normal keyboard, a couple of large keys, and set up a contrivance of wires, pulleys and hammers such that when the large keys are pressed, the hammers operate the up/down arrows on the regular keyboard.

Option b) Start with a normal keyboard for the electronics and make up a box with just the two press switches.

I'd go with option b... ;-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Ages ago and I didn't pay much attention to how the switch contacts arrived back at the microprocessor.

The actual electronics are tiny. My idea was to incorporate them in the same box as the new keys, and just use the existing lead back to the PC.

I'd like slightly larger buttons - or spaced further apart.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I sort of guessed at something like that. A circuit diagram would make life easy. I'll have to do some serious Googling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If its any use I have some flexible rubber keyboards such as at

some failed keys - but all the electronics are on their own PCB about 4in x 1in in a separate neat compartment at the end with an edge connector to connect the key traces (You can see it on the right of the picture in the link). Would be simple to trace the keys to the (single sided) edge connector and solder to the pins. The final electronics would then be in a small package. You are welcome to few if you wish.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Would another approach be to assign mouse keys to the up and down arrows while running the application in question? I can't give chapter and verse but ISTR I once had a Logitech mouse which had the option to assign in software any key to the mouse buttons.

Of course your standards are almost certainly higher than mine so a mouse glued to the dashboard may not suffice;)

Reply to
Robin

They are usually arranged on a row/column matrix... often just printed on a PCB with conductive rubber pads on the back of the "switches" to short out the tracks...

So you should be able to stick a switch across one of the existing key positions on the PCB.

Reply to
John Rumm

Err, why not get a friend to do it? Or better yet, get it to a rolling road and have someone else do it properly.

Reply to
Huge

Do you know what rolling roads cost? And while they may be fine for quickly setting things for maximum power, getting it right for best economy at cruise is something else.

I'd also not tax a friendship by asking him to do something so boring. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep. Northampton Motorsport, where I go, charges £90/hr.

But if it took more than an hour, I'd be astonished.

If they're any good, they'll do whatever you ask. And driving whilst watching the lambda is almost certainly DWDCA. How many points do you intend to map, anyway? And where are you going to do it?

Reply to
Huge