Solutions for squeaky stairs?

First "hit" when googling for "creaking stairs",

he has NO access to under the stairs, so look at the tip that is in the third paragraph down. That srewing the tread to the riser makes me think you and I are thinking of different bits.

soup

a rebate on the riser into which the tread fits so the "squeak" is unlikely to come from there, maybe a (very) close listen while someone makes the stair "squeak" will help you find where the "squeak" is coming from, still stand by the talcum powder lubricating the wood to wood contact so preventing "sticktion" and so preventing the "squeak". What is the disclaimer for I am not a carpenter, IANAC ?

Reply to
soup

This why I suggested linseed oil in my original post) to lube the wood and keep it from drying out, thats provided it is not the riser and tread but the type you're experiencing if that IS where the squeek is eminating?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mine creak on the corner, So I lifted the carpet thinking 'ah, i'll just shoot a couple of screws in there', to find a neat line of around

10 screws in the front of the stair.

I replaced a few with longer.

But the stair still creaks ;-)

HTH

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Just a thought but maybe it isn't the tread to riser junction that is "squeeking" maybe you need to tighten the wedges that "lock" the treads and risers into rebates which are routed into a piece of wood that runs the full length of the stair The creaking being at a corner would tend to support this idea

"tip"/picture down

Reply to
soup