Solid/puncture proof wheel barrow tyre

Having Googled for this they all seem to be USA. I'm fed up repeatedly getting punctures in my wheelbarrow tyre. Any suggestions as to how or where I may obtain a solution to this?

Reply to
Broadback

How about Slime

have used it in our pushchair tyres with great success. Available in many bike shops.

Seems it's frowned upon by "real" cyclists because of the "huge" increase in weight and rolling resistance of the tyre :-)

Henry

Reply to
Henry

I don't like using barrows with solid tyres at all, it's hard work. Perhaps a new tyre would help, or you could put in some "Finilec" or similar "puncture proofer".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If you're using the barrow on uneven surfaces, up and down kerbs/steps etc. then a solid tyre will be a major disadvantage. What's causing the punctures?

Reply to
Rob Morley

For push bike tyres, you used to be able to buy kevlar strips/hoops to line the tyre. Perhaps such things are still available and could be modified, or perhaps you could DIY something similar.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Kevlar is used for strips built in to tyres for puncture resistance - the strips you placed between the tyre and tube (ISTR a brand called Tuff Tape) were more like urethane.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I have extensive hedges of hawthorn, that is the problem. I clear the cuttings and run the lawnmower over after, but still I pick up the thorns. Even now almost 6 months after trimming the hawthorn.

Reply to
Broadback

Watts Industrial Tyres used to offer a service where they filled the tyre with something foamy to stop punctures - don't know if they still do.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I have an aerosol can of gloop in the car which is supposed to re-inflate and seal after a puncture. I've had it at least 10 years, so I don't know if it would work. I'll try and remember to read the small print and see if it's permissible to leave it in the tyre long term. If so, you'd be welcome to it for the cost of the postge.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

PU squirty foam inside the tyre. It won't take the weight of a builder's barrow, but it's OK for garden clippings.

I've used it to re-seat tyres that couldn't get a good enough seat on the bead to be re-inflated, because the rims were chipped.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mend the punctures or replace the tube and buy a can of tyre slime from Halfords put in the tube and inflate . Mine has lasted for years and I had the same problem. Same for a ride on mower. these aren't much good if the tube is already punctured

Reply to
leveled

"Andy Dingley" wrote > PU squirty foam inside the tyre. It won't take the weight of a builder's

Bet getting the exact volume required is tricky :-) I have visions of exploding tyres similar to those conjured up by the exploding canoe tale.

Henry

Reply to
Henry

It splurges out the sides a bit - you trim afterwards

PU squirty foam doesn't have anything like the expansive power of the two-part mix PUs foams used to make buoyancy blocks on boats. If you constrain the squirty stuff it just seems to end up denser.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, Buy the injectable foam that seales the punctures.

I stuffed it in my ride on, and no more problems. Its one of the few wonder products that actually seems to work

Sadly our barrow has rotted where the valve enters the tube...must get a new inner fitted..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have 3 wheelbarrow's (all real mean do don't they)

The solid wheel one is pathetic to wheel other than on a smooth flat surface, it simply digs into ruts and holes and stops the barrow dead. Pneumatic tyres are much better ...

A number of years ago I saw a Tomorrows World programme that sold a product you injected in your tyre and it expanded to fill the complete cavity ... with a yellow honeycomb material ... properties of a pneumatic tyre but puncture proof. This is not the puncture repair cans .. they just fill the hole ... don't fill the whole air space.

Maybe it went the same way as everlasting light bulbs and cars that can run on water ...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes