Solid Fuel Stove Installation

Hi Folks

Just need tocheck out the requirments for installing solid fuel stove. Large room currently with high ceilings @12 foot. Large fireplace with gas fire insitu. the house is a turn of the century house with ground and two further floor. So chimney is 40 - 50 foot up approx. I have been told that I will need to have gas fir removed (OK) then smoke test performed to see patency of chimney and flu. Also if it is not already so lined then the chimnet will have to be lined with ? Not aluminium and that the lining will cost @ £40 per meter. All this before I even think about installing the stove. then what clearance does there have to be from the fire to the front of the hearth and also finally what output might be required from the fire. It has been suggested 8kw for the size of room. Does this seem right? the room is about 24 X 20 feet.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers Rob Taylor Southport

Reply to
Rft080554

There's a rough calculation here:

Juliette

It is my understanding that a solid fuel stove must be installed by a HETAS approved installer or the installation must have building regulations approval.

As far as lining is concerned - it seems that most stove installers suggest that the chimney must be lined which im sure is just another way of making money from you. If the chimney is sound and free from leaks I dont believe there is any requirement to have it lined although it may preform better if it is. If you decide to go down the route of metal chimney liners it must be a double skinned type - I think they are made of stainless steel. These can be purchased for around £15-25 a metre*, maybe the £40/m includes installation. Bear in mind that stainless stell liners have a limited life and this will be greatly reduced if you burn anything other than seasoned wood and coal - ie general rubbish. There are other forms of liner which have a greater life span but will be more expensive and probably require some bricks to be temporarily removed from the chimney breast.

For the measurements that you require consult the current building regs which can be obtained here:

Reply to
Andy Farrall