Soil waste plumbing - suitable for DIY?

As part of re-fitting my bathroom, I want to replace my toilet with on

that has the soil pipe enclosed (i.e. pipe can only go straigh backwards - not an option because it's an outside wall - or downwards) So basically I need to move the existing horizontal stretch of soil pip underneath the floorboards. The problem then is that the existing entr point to the stack is too high and I need to do some surgery (an re-arrange the waste water inlets at the same time).

I'm a reasonably competent DIYer and not worried about the rest of th work that needs doing, but I've not messed with the stack before and a wondering whether this is a reasonable job to take on. Advice welcome

-- PJ1415

Reply to
PJ1415

I don't understand - is your toilet on an outside wall or not? - if it is, why can't the soilpipe go straight through the wall behind the bog?

Why is there horizontal pipe underneath your floorboards? Is the existing stack cast iron or plastic?

Reply to
Phil L

Yeah..I can't understand this part either ..."I want to replace my toilet with one that has the soil pipe enclosed (i.e. pipe can only go straight backwards - not an option because it's an outside wall - or downwards" Could you explain what you have and what you need in plain language please.lol

Reply to
Stuart

He has - he doesn't want to make a hole in the wall for some reason. He wants to drop the existing soil pipe (which currently comes off the back of the pan via an elbow) to conceal it under the floor, but doing that obviously means it will no longer line up with the same hole in the soil stack.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Take the soil pipe out through the wall and fit a new tee to the stack.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Its all doable, but soil pipes are tricky bastards.

Especially cutting off too tall vertical ones at or below floor level - you need a dremel (or a bit of insanity and an angle grinder disk bolted to an electric drill - do wear safety glasses)

And they stink too.

My best advice is to get up the floorboards completely and give yourself room to sort it all out, and then dry-fit everything fist...when its all worked out, dismantle and put the floor back down.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, exactly so - existing toilet has an elbow out the back and run along the inside of the wall (above the boards) behind the bath an intercepts the stack. New toilet doesn't permit this type o connection. I don't want to go back through the (outside) wall beacus the stack is inside. I think what I need to do is drop the existin stack T under the floor and insert a piece above it to fill the gap Sorry for the lack of clarity

-- PJ1415

Reply to
PJ1415

That's a pain.

Will you be able to get enough fall running the pipe in the floor?

It seemed perfectly clear to me :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

I gather Google has been in trouble recently for the way it handles its advertising. Here is a sample of what appears in this thread:

Related Pages Flood Watch Remains In Effect for the Entire Miami Valley WDTN - Mar 12, 2006 Residents spent the day pumping water out of their homes A public ...

Weekend Rains Prompt Flooding Concerns For Homeowners WHIOtv.com - Mar 13, 2006 TROTWOOD, Ohio -- Many people across the region are pumping out ...

Eaton buys hose, tubing business from Saint-Gobain European Rubber Journal (subscription) - Mar 13, 2006 Cleveland Ohio - Eaton Corp., a Cleveland-based industrial ...

Is it something to do with the OP's address? @diybanter.com

Or are Google desperate?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The message from "Weatherlawyer" contains these words:

Dunno - never been so desperate as to need to use Googlegroups.

Reply to
Guy King

So how do you access articles for five years ago? Presumably you don't believe they can be of value..!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

I generally don't. But if I do I certainly don't post through it.

Ah - I've just realised why I never see the adverts - I've got 'em blocked!

* is in the AdBlock filters list.

Reply to
Guy King