Smelly chimney liner?

Just installed a stainless chimney liner for a wood burning stove. Register plate not yet in position. Bottom 3 meters of the liner is insulated with rockwool sleeves.

The first three fires I've had have been progressively hotter, each time I get masses of smoke come down the chimney into the room. It's not wood smoke, it has an acrid chemical smell.

Is this normal for a new liner, do we just have to ride it out?

Cheers

Nick.

(If emailing, please replace 'bt' with 'azuresolutions')

Reply to
NickW

Odd. Very odd. I would havbe thought it would be insulated all the way up...

I suspect what is hapopening is the flue is heating soot in the old chimney.

My liner was insulated all the way for this. And has not yet had a register plate fitted. It doesn't smoke. It was a brand new stack tho.

I'd say seek advice, possibly fromn building inspector.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can this happen with soot??

I hoped it would just be because the liner was coated with something which is burning off. Just to reiterate, the smell is chemically, not like woodsmoke.

I've only had 3 fires so far but they were progressively hotter (and I added the insulation after the second one). The smoke stopped coming after a while even though I kept adding wood to the fire so it would not have been getting cooler.

Nick

Reply to
NickW

the flexible flu liner is probably coated with a film of oil to stop it oxidising thats whats burning off - All these people mean well but they have no idea

More than likely they can read a date though?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A stainless steel liner coated with oil to stop it oxidising?

Reply to
alan_m