Smeg oven door, loose inner glass.

My Smeg electric DO4SS-5 oven is about 18 months old but in the last 3 weeks the inner glass in the oven door has come loose.

Removing and dismantling the door it appears that the glass is simply bedded on a bead of some compound (silicone?) and that's it, no mechanical fastenings at all.

The loosening took place over a few weeks and since the original system of adhesion has already failed once I am a bit of a loss to come up with a susbtitute that will perform better, especially since the open gap has permitted all the surfaces to become contaminated with a typical oven door window, congealed grease, burnt deposit.

Supposing I can get the surfaces clean again, what adhesive could I use that would bond glass to metal (or the existing bead of compound) that would be reliable at 250c ?

It would appear Smeg couldn't do it.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

You use some special stuff, avaiable from electrical spares shops.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

In article , Rick writes

It's just high-temp silicone sealant, nothing special.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

It's a Smeg (pricey and perceived to be high quality, I understand) and only 18 months old. Regardless of any guarantee, I would say the retailer is clearly liable to fix it for you under the sale of goods act, unless of course you've mistreated it in some way.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq