where to get a cast iron 10kg weight?

I'd be grateful for advice as to where I might get hold of a cast iron 10kg weight.

Either a "trader's" type, roughly cuboid with a long horizontal handle, or a "lab" type, roughly cylindrical, tapering, with a knob on top, would be fine.

Great accuracy of mass is not important. Second hand and slightly damaged would be fine too.

I don't want one of the types that people use for weight-training though - i.e. not the flat disc with a hole, and not the hand dumbbell type either.

Many thanks in advance!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Nellist

I'm sure an iron foundry would be delighted to make you one.

Frank Erskine

Depending on the accuracy you require and whether you need it Legal For Trade:

kg M3 Iron weight Rectangular (Bar) weight Accuracy: +/- 5g Our Price Excl. VAT: £37.00£43.48 Including VAT at 17.5%

kg M1 Iron weight Rectangular (Bar) weight Accuracy: +/- 500mg Our Price Excl. VAT: £45.00£52.88 Including VAT at 17.5%

kg Iron slotted weight Accuracy: +/- 500mg Our Price Excl. VAT: £59.00£69.33 Including VAT at 17.5%

kg Iron - Stamped Rectangular (Bar) weight Our Price Excl. VAT: £44.00£51.70 Including VAT at 17.5%

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Chris Nellist" wrote in message news:Xns9680E70017064pnellist@195.92.193.157...

Cast one in a bucket using concrete?

Reply to
dennis

Concrete cast iron?

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

A bit of red lead and some black paint and who would know?

Reply to
dennis

The OP?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

"Chris Nellist" wrote in message news:Xns9680E70017064pnellist@195.92.193.157...

go to a stage/theatre supplies, and ask for a scenery weight, somewhere like stage electric at Cambridge for instance

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

How about a stage weight? About 1 ft square and 2 in high?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What do you want it for ? How accurate, how aesthetically pleasing to look at, must it be a particular shape, must it not roll, must it have a good stable base?

As a doorstop, then I use a back axle differential case. Cost me basically nothing (except for the Range Rover which donated it percusively). You'll find all sorts of big lumps of iron in a decent scrapyard - try a front hub, or a diff inner cage (sits flat on a base, has a bearing at the top as a carrying knob).

Concrete poured in a plywood box gives you easy control of the shape.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

As does scrap lead poured into an iron pipe :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley