I need instructions to relocet a cast iron Rad

Hello,

I need to move a cast iron radiator from one spot in my kitchen to another spot that is only 6 feet away.

I need instructions on how to do this.

Does the whole heating (furnace) system need to be drained in order to do this? IF so how do I drain the whole heating system? Does the main water shutoff coming into the house have to be turned off? Should I do it when the house is all warmed up so the pipes won't freeze. The temperature is dropping so I can't have the house cold all day long.

All I have to do is cut 2 pipes and drill 2 new holes and drop the radiator in and run new lines from where I cut it to where the new location is. I heard I can run new PVC tubing type of lines but am not sure about the fittings. Please offer some advice. I would like to cut down on the cost and am handy in most areas, but I never seen this before.

Reply to
CastIronRad

PVC no not for HW heat, Drain system yes, If you dont know HW piping get a pro. Drain- refill, blead, reset to level , if you have to ask you better learn or better yet get a pro. You are in over your head now on the boiler set up.

Reply to
m Ransley

As Mark said, you're in over your head. I'm in favor of DIY projects but I think you'll get in trouble.

There are hi-temp tubings available for pro use, not DIY. Copper can be used. But you could go thru all this work and find out the damned thing won't circulate water any longer.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You don't make it too clear if it's steam or hot water.

Either way, PVC will not work....

Reply to
HeatMan

If you don't already know the answers to those simple questions, you probably should not tackle the job yourself. Do you know how to work with pipe? No, PVC is not to be used. Maybe copper tubing, but you still have to disconnect and use adapters to go to the copper.

If things go well, it is a fairly simple job, but if there are many barriers, rusted piping, broken fittings, it could take a day. I can't see it from here to see just how hard or easy it is. Any time you break into old piping you have the potential for major work.

Get some help by either a pro or a knowledgeable DIYer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"CastIronRad" wrote

Yes