Small holes in stainless steel pots

I have some little stainless steel pots in a heated tank, one of them recently sprang a leak and if I hold it up to the light I can see 3 little pin prick holes in it.

Am I likely to be able to repair this by filling the holes with solder?

If not would welding sort it?

Reply to
R D S

It is certainly possible to solder stainless steel. I used to use a flux comprising one half Baker's fluid No 1, one quarter hydrochloric acid

36% and one quarter distilled water.

Whether the solder would survive whatever it was that caused holes in stainless steel is another matter. In any case, I suspect that any repair will only be a temporary fix. Multiple pin holes suggest to me that the pot is probably nearing the end of its useful life and really needs replacing.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

They are little square half litre pots and the supplier wants £30 each for them!

Reply to
R D S

Epoxy works.

NT

Reply to
NT

I'd expect electrolytic corrosion to occur around the solder so any repair would be temporary.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

TIG welding SS is pretty straightforward.

Reply to
pcb1962

Yes, but you need a pokey flux for dealing with stainless. Phosphoric acid can do it.

Easiest though is a Lumiweld kit, which comes with the right flux and a better solder.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Either that or it was made in China.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Naaah, it's made in stainless steel, didn't you read his post :)

Reply to
Gazz

Never had that problem in several decades of soldering stainless steel surgical instruments.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar