SloMo toilet seat

I have a toilet seat that, when new, would go down slowly from upright. It doesn't do that now, a few years later.

The hinges are housed in cylinders mounted horizontally. No doubt the rods going into the cylinders have some device on them which run perhaps in a substance that impedes their turning.

Is there any way I can repair them, now that they don't work?

Or must I buy a new seat every few years?

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Newbury

Well you can buy new seats of that design at Costco for about =A322

Reply to
Murmansk

I can't think why one would want a loo seat that you can't get down quickly.

Attack of Montasumas Revenge and mad dash for loo only to have to wait 10 seconds for the perishing seat to close, 10s is a *LONG* time when you are about to piss out of your arse.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In situations like that, a seat is a luxury, not an essential. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

The ones I've got, you can push down manually pretty much as fast as you like. They just don't fall if you let 'em go ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

They'd have to be able to pushed down quickly - forget the exploding arse problem, can you imagine the grief you'd get from half of the household if they needed to wait everytime they wanted a piss? :-)

Reply to
Clive George

There are two main ways this sort of mechanism works I'd imagine. first, the viscous paddle that moves slowly due to the oil, and the other is the geared fan approach which to whirl around a device like a paddle steamer wheel geared from the main shaft. A few years back I recall a web site that had toilets around the world on it, and some of the most fascinating seemed to be in Japan. Can't recall the address now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Keep the seat and lid down and then you'd have to just open the lid.

Reply to
mogga

I know you're just begging to be asked by why do you think the seat should be left up ?

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

My daughter has these in her house. We stayed there for 2 weeks and ever since I have come home I have been having problems forgetting and letting our normal seats bang down, (after use!)

Reply to
Stewart

Seats that slam down are an occasional cause of injury to young boys who are just starting to use the toilet.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I hope it's better now :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

I bet that only happens once. B-)

You do come across the occasional seat that won't stay up because it's been fitted incorrectly or is a replacement seat and doesn't match the pan/cistern.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice :

Installed by a feminist plumber, probably.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

But usually because it's had a hideous fluffy cover fitted. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim