Slightly ot: Lawnmowers

I have never done any sort of gardening, but having been made redundant recently after 18 years of faultless service. Thankfully I may of found a new job but with a pay decrease, just incase you cared :). I have had to cut back on my expenditure like paying for the garden to be done.

I've googled a bit and found this mower at argos

than the 10kg weight :) watch the muscles grow :) .. is it a good starter mower, the front and rear garden is not very big but needs cutting.

I figured electric was the best way to go as petrol might be a bit costly ?

Never having paid much attention to anyone cutting the grass I found myself wondering is it just a case of keeping clean lines up and down ?

Perhaps this time next year I may be doing the grass at wimbledon.

For the eldges do I need one of those handheld zippy doodahs or shall I just pretend its the new lawn style, short in the middle, long back and front lol.

Jokes aside, adivce most welcomed. Thanks

Reply to
Peter smith

This (Bosch Rotak 34) works very well on my small lawns, and was a Which Best Buy last time I checked.

For the eldges do I need one of those handheld zippy doodahs or shall I

It depends if the edges are flower beds, walls/ drives or whatever. Long-handled edging shears give the neatest results for flower borders, but a strimmer can be easier against a wall or drive.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Those 4-wheeled jobbies are not for 'lawns' in my opinion, they are for paddocks, orchards, etc. Even though they now have grass collecting bags

For lawn mowing you really need a cylinder mower. Edges need an edging hoe and long-handled shears to give a good result.

David

Reply to
David J

The fundamental questions are:

How big is the lawn? Type of lawn (i.e. neat flat smooth, or more like a rough meadow?) What shape (i.e. neat square, or loads of curves and trees to mow round) What finish are you after - nice neat stripes, or don't care much) Do you have space to compost cut grass? (or do you need a mulching mower)

Those factors will dictate what is suitable...

Reply to
John Rumm

Little mowers like that are ok for small patches, and are reasonably tolerant of rough ground. Metal blades need sharpening at times, plastic ones are safer but need regular replacement. Neat lines dont come into it, just cover the area.

NT

Reply to
NT

argos

> Other than the 10kg weight :) watch the muscles grow :) .. is it a good

Reply to
Toom Tabard

argos

> Other than the 10kg weight :) watch the muscles grow :) .. is it a good

Depends how big, but a manual push-it-yourself can be quicker and easier than rigging up an electric mower.

Again, how about just long-handled shears, flat ones if you need to cut near the edge of the lawn, edging shears if you are doing the actual side edges.

On both my garden and allotment, I find I've got the work done whilst the neighbours are setting up, plugging in and adjusting strange devices that eventually do simple tasks whilst making loud buzzing noises.

And being a Scotsman. it gives me exercise and saves me the gym membership fee. (Have you noticed how many people drive miles to a gym and then stand moving their feet up and down whilst an electric machine does the running and walking for them;-)

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

argos

>>> Other than the 10kg weight :) watch the muscles grow :) .. is it a good

Agreed - I sometimes mow about 250 sq. m. of rather irregular ground and it's justt not worth bothering with a motor. The mower cost nowt (from a skip) and, with some servicing, cuts well.

One neighbour has an 18* petrol mower and, from start to finish, takes longer for about half the area.

You can't be from Glasgow etc. - exercise??!!

Reply to
PeterC

I've cut grass with a carving knife. Not as good as a sickle, but heck, it's all I had.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher