Slightly odd gate fixings

Hi All, I'm planning to make a gate that will open uphill. Current plan is to make a fairly simple horizontal plank gate and have flexible joints that will allow it to become a trapezium shape when open. This should clear it up:

I should be able to control the gate flexing when it's shut (+ attached to the house) but does anyone have any thoughts on the fixing to join the planks to the vertical end posts? My current thoughts are to have coach screws with a stainless steel sleeve but I think these would be a bit intrusive:

Of note - I live around 10 mins walk from Isaac Lord and suspect they have a neater solution but it's tricky without the names of some fittings to have a look at.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Telfer

How sloping is the ground - in other words, how much does the side remote from the hinges have to lift when it's open? Are you planning to design some sort of linkage which lifts it automatically as it opens?

Why not have a rigid gate and simply rotate it about a non-vertical axis so that it lifts automatically as it opens? [The gate can still be in a vertical plane when shut - you just need the bottom hinge to be set back further from the front face of the gate than the top hinge.]

Reply to
Roger Mills

You could do this with just a dog-leg bottom hinge.

Mark

Hmm that looks good. As per usual there are added complications. The gate has to be as slimline as possible as the gap is already quite tight for squeezing the car through. So I reckon the offset bottom hinge will protrude too far. To be confirmed by some measuring this morning.

I'll have a look into it as I think getting this kind of fancy plan reliable in the long run is not going to be easy.

Thanks

Jon

Reply to
Jon Telfer

There are various options, but you didnt tell us how much the ground comes up.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

McVeigh Parker describe, at page 7 of their catalogue, rising hinges for slopes of up to 1:6 Part number WGF130

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard