hot to finish an old sooty fireplace

Hi there, have looked through the posts but have found no good answers for my current problem!

Following a complete renovation of my cottage, I am fitting a wood burning stove into the old, very sooty, fire place opening. My understanding is that sooty acidic deposits on brick eventually travel through most materials - unibond, render, or even tile grout. My current thinking is to unibond, then lime render (to create a nice level finish) then tile, using a dark grout- so that if anything does travel through it wont look too bad! Other option is to wirebrush as much surface deposits off as possible, re-point and leave bare-bricks on show. Anybody got experience with using heat-proof board - guess I could bond that on and then tile over?

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
bookman

Just limewash or paint it once every two or three years.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

In the past I have wire brushed, spattered render on to form a key then simply given it a smooth render coat with waterproofer resin in the coat. Nothing came through over the next five years till we moved

Reply to
cynic

I have treated the same with pva, bonding and finish plaster emulsion. Nothing showed up in 10 years. Just done the same again for LBS.

-- Mike W

Reply to
visionset