Slave computers

Page 3 of 3
Mary Fisher wrote:

An crossover ethernet cable some ethernet cards and a bit of software is all you need.
keep asking - need more dteails on the older machine, and teh newer...
Alternatively, if you have a friendly computer store - a one man band with a pony tailed hacker typically - somewhere in teh neighborhood, get them to do it for you for a small fee.
They may in fact be able to fit a 5 1/4" disk to the new machine, provided the old one is of a reasonably compatible nature (i.e. runs MSDOS, not Atari Battle station X blaster we rolled our own operating system etc etc.)
In the final analysis, a mid range old Unix machine and a good softwre guy can pobably read the diskjs and recover the data.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:07:22 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Getting a network interface working under DOS can be fun, not to mention that the "old" computer is a Compaq, they really did do things "their own (incompatible) way" and still do to a certain extent.
Of course the old machine may only have ISA slots not PCI so getting a suitable network card and it's DOS drivers might be fun.
As I see it the simplest solution is to bung a 3.5" drive in the old machine, assuming that the floppy cable has the required female DIL socket not just PCB edge connectors for 5.25" drives and that the PSU has a miniature power connector.
Next I'd go for a null modem serial connection and (failing to find my little ZIP program) a couple of ordinary communications programs at each end using z-modem or similar to transfer the data. Windows Terminal will do on the window box and there are any number of free DOS programs about.
This would be a file by file operation though rather than disc by disc, of course one could zip up each 5.25" disc to a single file and transfer that.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andy Hall wrote:

I know this is a DIY group, but there is an element of RIP (Read it Properly) involved. Im' a thick shit "thieving pikey bastard" and I understood what Mary meant.
Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Well I managed or am I a figment of your vertual reality
Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.
Essjay001 wrote:

No, so you can't be a thick shit thieving pikey bastard can you?
:-)

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

here a pikey in a thread about planning permission.
Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.
Essjay001 wrote:

I'm a very clever hands on IT Manager and I didn't get it :o)
Tim
Essjay001 wrote:

The latter... I hope.
Tim

either needs to follow the "plug the drive in outside the box" route, or use something like Laplink for DOS, which will also run on Windows:
http://www.laplink.com/products/LLV/overview.asp
Laplink comes with a cable (or at least it did when I bought it some years ago!), and you can install it on either PC and then transfer it to the other using the cable and a DOS command which is detailed in the instructions.
Dunno whether you can still get it though - it is still listed in the laplink site www.laplink.com but not on www.laplink.co.uk .
--
Alan Shilling
Remove packaging from e-mail address before replying
Mary Fisher wrote:

You have probably had all of the usefull answers to this already - however a few other bits of info that might help.
If the old computer had DOS 6 then it has Interlink - this is a little server program you run on the DOS computer and a client to run on the new computer to remotely "mount" it's drives.
You can get laplink style parallel link cables from Maplin if you need. These work with laplink, Fastlynx, and Interlink. Order code is BJ27E costs a tenner. Failing that you could make your own see here:
http://www.hardwarebook.net/cable/parallel/interlink.html
If you wanted to get a "real" network up and running on the DOS box then you can get a suitable boot disk with the required network drivers etc from here:
http://www.bootdisk.com /
(good site for getting out of all sorts of tight spots!)
Another option not discussed is just using a straight null modem serial lead with a standard BBS style comms package running on both ends and transferring files with ZModem. Hyperterminal will do it on the new computer, and a old DOS package like Procomm, Telix (free), or any of the many varieties that used to come bundled with modems etc.
Back on the topic of moving drives - if you can't get the 5.25" drive in the new case - could you stick a 3.5" floppy drive in the old case as well as its 5.25" drive so you can copy the files that way?
--
Cheers,

John.

I'm glad I read the whole thread first John, as this was my thought as well. Why not put another drive in the old machine and transfer the files to it, then put it in to the new machine. The only problem I can see is the formatting between the two operating systems but I'm sure someone can come up with an answer to that.

I could be wrong, but I have an idea that Compaq altered their floppy drive interface such that their drives weren't comptible with other manufacturers.
A laplink type connection is probably the way to go. I have done this many, many times with laplink, interlink, and PC anywhere.
If you want to get in touch Mary, I can sort you out with a suitable cable and software for your slave's pc :=))
BigWallop wrote:

Dos has not really changed its format ever. Well it did get a tad fancier in later years, but it can still read old file structures.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have managed to use old files written in WP51 (dos) on a 386 system driven by DOS 5 backed up to a 120 MB Jumbo tape streamer via the dos prog that came with it and download onto a P3 Win 98 computer. I am able to read all these files with WORD 98 with out error. I don't think there will be too many probs on the software side
Steve R
--
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

My brain still hurts ...
I'm going to copy ALL these posts to a folder to peruse gently later :-)
Mary

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:50:29 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

big snip
moving drives - if you can't get the 5.25" drive in

Stick the floppies in the post and I'll copy them to 3.5" or even a hard drive for you for nothing save all the brain ache. ;-)
Mark S.
Mark wrote:

Good idea!
Must admit I forgot the obvious solution....
BTW. I still have a 5.25" floppy setup here for such purposes - so again feel free to snail mail some disks and I can transfer them as well.....
In case anyone else has a similar problem:
I can access data from the following 5.25" formats (In theory anyway - years since some of the kit has been turned on!):
PC/MS DOS 360K, & 1.2Mb CP/M 86 format Commodore SDSS 170K (i.e. VIC20, C64, 128 etc) Commodore DSSD 340K (i.e. C128 / 1571 format) Plus various CP/M formats like Kaypro 2 & 4, Epson QX10, IBM 8/9 Sector, Osbourn.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

Recognise any of these? http://www.cyberden.com/sleeves /
James...
James Hart wrote:

WOW! - That is one of the SADDEST web sites I have seen in ages
(good though!)
;-)
--
Cheers,