slate fireplace restoration

We have just removed wood effect paint from a victorian slate fireplace. It has removed most of the lacquer. What is the best way to treat this fireplace? Can anyone recomend a lacquer?
The wood effect paint you have just removed may well have been the original finish. The two most common forms of finish to victorian slate fire surrounds was wood grain or marble effect. If you want to leave the slate surround bare use fine steel wool to prepare the surface and finish with linseed oil. Apply oil by paintbrush and buff with a lint free cloth.
If you want to resurrect a traditional finish there are many proffesionals out there that can do wood grain and marble paint effects.

It has

Can
Thanks, There was a marble effect underneath the wood grain. I will try the linseed oil
Gillianpirie wrote:

Try WD40.
Ben
Ben Harrington wrote:

Try contacting Lithofin..they do a range of finishes for stone. They have a web site - do a search.