Sky dish installation/alignment

What does the d=49.8 and h=21.5m mean?

ARW

Looks like the distance and height of the green marker on the map which you can move around, I think it's intended that you find a suitable 'landmark' that's on, or close to, the black line to the satellite position, to get your rough alignment 'by eye'

I used JJ's alignment calculator instead.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That gets the same results. Ta. And it's a good job I always carry a compass in the van. No doubt there is a smartphone app to do the same thing.

BTW The apprentice has an app on his phone and when you point it at an aeroplane tells you it's flight number and flight details. Well he will not need that app at this address:-) I'll make sure he is there the next time the Vulcan bomber takes off or lands at the airport at the back of the house.

Reply to
ARW

Satellite Director seems quite good big data base of satellites, uses GPS or manual lat/long entry for your location.

TBH if you know the time and where the sun is you can work out a pretty good estimation of the azimuth from that. The sun has the same azimuth as the Sky/Freesat satellites at around 1000 GMT. Close enough for the initial dish aim.

The elevation does change with latitude but not a great deal, if you are only doing installs in say a 50 mile radius I doubt you could detect the elevation variation. There will be more variation from non-plumb walls and/or mounting brackets. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's me f***ed then:-)

Reply to
ARW

The green blob signifies an obstacle in the path to the dish that is

49.8metres away at a height of 21.5m. It's those tall trees on top of that mound?

However, if you click on the end of the line (the red blob) with your mouse you can move it to where you actually want to mount the dish. I assume you are not going to mount it in the middle of that traffic island.

Reply to
alan

The green blob signifies an _potential_ obstacle

If you move the green blob back to the origin of the line it will show d=0, h=0.

Reply to
alan

Just worked out what it is:-) It's tan 23.3. But why such units! Not much use if you have One Square Canada 49m away.

Reply to
ARW

That was an idea I had. But

would not let me set my coordinates.

Reply to
ARW

That's odd. I was able to set mine, and that was without even signing in. Did you go down to the bottom of the 'Select Location' page, below the map? Or are you in a totally different part of the site?

Reply to
Davey

Works with IE not with Chrome. And at 9:36 the sun is directly behind Astra:-)

Reply to
ARW

Not at this time of year, only near the equinoxes. Google "sun outage"

The suns azimuth should be right but it's elevation will be well low ATM.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks. Yes. I got that bit wrong (I looked at the declination not the altitude).

But it will serve for setting the azimuth. I have to be sure that the two chimneys either side of the chosen point will not get in the way. The elevation is not a problem on this one - if the sun hits the wall where I want to run the cables to when it is low down then I am ok to run the cables to that point.

And it's time to upset another SKY engineer. The last one refused to work with my cables because I had used CT100 and not shotgun/SKY+ cable. He obviously did not like working Sunday mornings and came up with the excuse "SKY no longer supply connectors for that size cable".

Reply to
ARW