Shelf brackets not 90 degrees

Bought some of these brackets (from Wicks) to put some shelves up in the garage. When finished the shelf slopes downwards to the wall! I thought these brackets were meant to be 90 degrees - so checked - and they aren't! Easily fixed them with some spacers but just wondered why these things are not 90 deg. Some older ones I have, from the dark ages, *are* bang on 90 deg. Is there some fashion for backward sloping shelves - or maybe trapizoid section :-) ?

dave

I had exactly the same issue with two sizes of brackets I bought in bulk from Screwfix. Most were close to 90 degrees but a few were miles out. I should have sent them back but had enough good ones and time was short when it happened. Mine were a more rectangular style with spot welded re-inforcement set at the wrong angle!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Maybe they're made like that deliberately, so that when people like me recklessly overload them with boxes of stuff that might come in useful one day, they are approximately horizontal.

Reply to
MrWeld

Ah - I thought that same thing. However that "fold" that runs the length of these things ensures the brackets are *very* rigid. So rigid I think it unlikey they would give much at all.

Reply to
dave

It's to cope with forward sloping walls...

Seriously, the squareness of the bracket is one factor, but the plumbness of the wall governs how level the shelf is.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The answer is in the name "London shelf bracket" Londoners are after all well known for sloping off all over the place :-)

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike