shed roofing felt nails

I think I know the answer but would appreciate someone confirming for me. I put the roofing felt on the shed with roofing felt nails (dont know correct name) now I want to put a couple of wooden strips on to prevent the felt blowing off if there are gale force winds. The felt nails will be too short so if I use ordinary nails will the felt seal around them, thats what I think will happen.I dont want to start a leak in the felt. thanks

Reply to
ss

Galvanised clout nails for holding felt. I used what you might call "thick bitumen paint" to hold mine, I always expected it to leak if I used nails. But yes, when using nails I've had wind damage before now, where the wind has ripped the felt. All I can suggest is that you put in all the nails (into your battens) and liberally coat the nail points with "thick bitumen paint/weatherproof no nails" before you attach it.

Reply to
brass monkey

Galvanised clout nails.

You can get longer clouts... I would the large head means that the strips will be held firmer that a ordinary wire or oval nail. And being hot dip galvansied will last more than 6 months.

The smaller the shank the less felt is displaced, the more chance of a leak.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Next time use bitumen gloop under the felt instead, it works better and lasts better

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Personally I use thinner felt first, well nailed down with those felt nails, and then glue top-felt to this using Aqualseal cold felt adhesive. That way all the nails are underneath felt, the Aquaseal also adds protection. Hardest bit is getting good adhesion at the edges where the gutter is. I've used cheap clothpegs to hold the two sheets together until the glue sets and that seems to have worked.

A cheaper job is to nail a thinb strip of felt over the apex, then nail full size felt from the edges towards apex, then glue the final full apex piece over the top edge nails and the apex. The thin bit over the apex helps prevent the cracking which I always find starts at the apex on single sheet sheds.

But that leaves the gutter edge still nailed and the wind did eventually do it in and lift all the felt.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith