Sharpening a plane iron

Is this jig suitable for a 25 deg plane iron?

Graham.

Sort of but it only takes irons up to 40mm which is more suitable for chisels. Look of the Eclipse version which has two steps on the jaw, one of which will take upto 75mm

Axminster part no 340147.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No. They are rubbish. The small wheel in the middle is too small, so unless you are using the thinnest of chisels, your edge will not be straight, as you'll be rocking side to side as you run the blade up and down the stone.

There are a number of sharpening jig tools available which give a more stable base to work with. Usually these come with an attachment to set the angle, and make sure the blade is square in the jig.

I've got one by Veritas:

Trend and others do a similar jig.

Reply to
A.Lee

Yes ... will do both angles required for plane & chisel ... used one for many years.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

But even those look feeble compared to:

John Rumm

I have the very similar Eclipse guide and don't find rocking a problem. I agree that the wheel is too narrow though, it tends to wear a groove down the middle of the stone...

steel rule to measure the projection and set to the figures cast into the edn of the guide is fine. B-)

With about 1 1/2" of the blade gripped by the guide it's pretty difficult to get it none square.

Looks to have a full width wheel, much better but the rest is just bells and whistles.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks one and all. Wicks have got its big brother that will open to

67mm and at £6.39 making it 59p cheaper than the 40mm one from B&Q so I'll go for that.

It's to resurrect the old Record No 4 I have, in order to shave a bit from the door bottom after having a new carpet.

Reply to
Graham.