Sewing machine problem

OK chaps and honourary chaps, here's a question about DIY sewing. SWMBO is trying to sew buttonholes using a buttonhole attachment on a Singer Talent sewing maching. The thing goes through the process of zigzag stitching down one side and back up the other but the zigs (or zags?) are more widely spaced on one side than t'other. I can't find a user adjustment anywhere so am wondering whether it's an internal set-up issue or a technique issue. Are there any sewing machin experts out there?

Reply to
no_spam

The fabric is thicker on one side (near the edge?) and feeding at a different speed?

Also check bobbin tension and feed tension are the same (although I can't quite see why that would affect it).

Reply to
Bob Eager

The tensions all seem to be OK (or so I'm told!) and the fabric thickness is uniform (the slit is cut after the edging is finished) BUT a suggestion to control the digital right foot and to sew at a lower speed seems to have helped significantly so it may be technique (lack thereof). Experiments continue.

Reply to
no_spam

Are you using the recommended foot? It may be that the one you are using is not as good at gripping when reverse feeding. (the teeth on the advance bar are not always symmetric)

Reply to
John Rumm

Rate of advance depends on finger pressure on the cloth, among other things. Usually one can adjust feedrate this way.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr