semi synthetic V mineral oil ...

Err, no. The Essex is a single camshaft, pushrod engine. I can't remember what oil I put in a my Mk1 Capri 3000S (too long ago), but it won't have been synthetic, partly because I suspect it wasn't available & partly because I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

Reply to
Huge

The Essex was produced in many guises some of which were overhead cam - mainly for performance cars.

Essex was really the name of that particular block - a V6 block originally, then a V4 in some guises.

a good intro to ford production engines is here

The notorious OHC camshaft breaker was the pinto engine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I ran my Cortina III GT (pinto engine) for over 100,000 miles. Camshaft never broke although the cam belt failed once.

Reply to
charles

So long ago that the Canadian Essex v6 hadn't even gone into production (1981). The UK and Canadian "Essex" v6s are completely different lumps. They don't even have the same V angle.

Adrian

BUT they are still pushrod engines...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Adrian scribbled

I did say it was the poseurs !

Reply to
Jonno

In message , Chris Hogg writes

A distinct possibility, apparently. El Niño, it is said, is all set for a repeat of the cold snowy winters we experienced five or six years ago. That means life as we know it comes to a complete standstill south of Newcastle, but up here in Aberdeenshire life will continue as normal. Those in Glasgow will just chuck an extra Mars Bar in the deep fat fryer.

Sorry Laverne.

Reply to
News

Last time I saw a car with 3000 mile oil change intervals was in the '50s, and it had by-pass oil filtration, and white metal bearings. The same engines changed to full flow (as all engines from the mid '50s did to allow modern bearing shells) moved to 6000 mile oil changes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But which one? Snag with oils is the formulation changes, but the name can stay the same.

And a 20/50 is going to waste power/reduce engine efficiency over a thinner oil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The UK Essex were V4 and V6 units. The V4 was designed for use in the Transit van as it was shorter than an inline 4, so useful to allow forward control cab shape without sacrificing cab space. It was a crude, cheap and nasty unit. It was a modular design, so relatively easy to produce other versions, like the V6.

German Ford produced the Cologne range of V4 and V6. These were a more sophisticated design - and Ford UK used that V6 on the last Capri V6.

I've a feeling Cosworth made a racing version of the V6 Essex with OHC heads - but this purely for a particular formula which specified that block.

I don't think it was fitted to any production car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I always think that Americans are far more susceptible to advertising than is good for them.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Indeed, Which is why oils like Mobil 1 sell well in Finland.

Reply to
Michael Chare

A synthetic blend is just hydrocarbons, the same as the mineral oil. So no difference to rubber seals.

Reply to
newshound