Selective call barring

And if you get fed up with the phone constantly ringing?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Tesco land lines also have this feature as an optional extra to domestic customers. Plus Tesco have UK based customer service, the last few times I dealt with BT it was all off shore customer call centers.

Reply to
Chade

Having looked at the caller ID, raise handset a centimeter max and put it down again. It costs them the price of a call and stops the ringing. Eventually they will tire and pester someone else. (This avoids the cost of engaging an Eastern European to go round and break the offenders legs)

Reply to
cynic

My Phillips DECT phones have a privacy facility which provides a white list...

Reply to
Dave Wade

Find a modem that does caller ID, run simple script in a comms program that only answers the calling the CLID matches that of the nusiance number(s). After answering it hangs up a couple of seconds later or just let it send its auto answer tones. Won't of course handle witheld calls.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks Dave - a good thought. I'll check the spec of the various (old) modem cards lying around :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

You'd think so, wouldn't you. We have the answer phone on two rings and never answer the phone. Neverthless we receive almost continuous calls at bad times. The cost of the calls seems to be no deterrent.

Assume that we have already thought of and done the obvious things and that this has been going on for a long time. Assume also that we do not want to involve solicitors or the police.

This is why I am seeking the very specific solution of barring one well known number. In this way the caller can ring as often as desired but we will not be troubled by the constant ringing (the answerphone won't go below 2 rings) and we will know that if the phone rings there is a good chance that it is someone we may want to talk to.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

get a new number?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

with an FXS and FXO module comes to £79 and can be used with Asterisk and other Linux based call management systems. So that gives me a target price to compare with other solutions. No doubt this has dictated the price point for the Truecall solution.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Thanks - I'll look into the price of switching.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Change your phone number. That's what we did when we were being bombarded with nuisance calls.

Reply to
Huge

I have no idea, Virgin do have that capability as does BT and any other legal carrier in the UK.

You need the police to instruct them to intercept the calls.

However you miss the point.. if you know who is making the calls you can have them stopped from making them in the first place.

Reply to
dennis

Our Panasonic home phone has the ability to block numbers.

Reply to
Invisible Man

No. You miss the point. The OP has clearly stated that he does not want to involve the police. Doh!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The Panasonic Dect cordless at the website below has an incoming call barring feature. It won't help if the caller withholds their number though.

Paulg0

I would think they would still be best going to the police.

If they block one number and block withheld calls then the person might realise this and start calling from telephone boxes. It will be much easier for the police to identify him if he is calling from his home phone line or one mobile phone.

Don't telecom companies have a requirement to deal with nuisance calls? If Virgin refuse to cooperate then it might be worth speaking to OFCOM.

Reply to
MB

Or they could escalate the nuisance and do it some other way which is why I think the police should be involved so the person can be warned off.

Reply to
MB

Bit of an odd one, isn't it, that you get nuisance calls with the number displayed? Given that you do - which means you can screen the calls manually - I'd have thought that the perp would give up pretty quickly due to an inability to elicit any reaction from you.

Given that you know the number calling I'm struggling to see why you can't sort this out simply and PDQ through normal channels, but sounds like you have reasons.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Our Siemens voip landline job does that; but there are probably cheaper and more effective ways of sorting it.

However, I'd have thought that if the OP does sucessfully manage to block this number, then surely the caller will very quickly start calling from a different one (or maybe withold CLID, although that's readily addressed).

David

Reply to
Lobster

> Paul

Nice. I might get one and barr a couple of overseas companies that try to sell me cruises.

Reply to
ARWadsworth