seceuroglide roller garage door

Has anyone attempted the repair of these things?

After about 10 years daily use our door motor began to continue running for about 30 seconds after the door was fully closed/open.

I then made the mistake of holding and then releasing the door as it was descending. Gravity quickly took up the slack and appears to have fractured the connection between the frame and the drive motor.

I think removing the door collector roller and the motor is easy enough as the door slats appear to be retained by several swivelling rods which are themselves retained by large pop rivets. But what then?

The only identification I can see is *40 M* on a little yellow label. This does not link to anything on the Hopkins site. The people who installed it are not overly enthusiastic about repairs (I guess there is more profit in new installations than repairing old ones).

Reply to
Tim Lamb

(Thought you'd made a typo there, but "Seceuroglide" it is!)

I have a cheaper, crappier version -- an "Autoroll". It was well worth it in that it only cost about ?750 installed, and the difference between this and our old stonkingly heavy up and over door, not to mention the insulation, is just wonderful.

However it has no pressure sensitive STOP detector. IOW, if you happen to leave a broom (say) propped up in the channel, it will carry on closing, and snap all the hinges on the collector roller. It's happened to me twice so far: I almost burst into tears at the expensive slow-motion disaster happening before my eyes.

I got our "garage door man" to repair it both times. ?50 inc hinges.

Next time it happens I will be more prepared: I bought new hinges off Ebay: the genuine article, as this is where Autoroll do a lot of selling now.

As for fitting them: our "man" says it's dead easy ... but having watched him do it, I suspect it's a bit like when David Beckham says it's easy to score a goal over the wall.

This has not been very DIY helpful, except for the Ebay bit.

John

Reply to
Another John

In message , Another John writes

Sympathy is worth something:-)

Fortunately it is a double door garage housing one car so the job to date has been to swop the radio control set for the manual switches and move all the accumulated junk to the other side.

Plenty of motors available on e-bay but I was hoping for some experiences of others before diving in.

Googling just gets hits on people anxious to install a new door.

The Somfy site only wants to deal with the trade.....

If the original installers really are not interested I'll pull the roller/motor out and see what I can learn.

Reply to
Tim Lamb