screwing plasterboard with zinc plated screws

I just fixed up a load of plasterboard (onto studs) using ordinary zinc plated screws. Now I see there are special black 'plasterboard' screws with some fancy coating.

Is there anything wrong with zinc plate screws? I plan to have the board skimmed.

thanks

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I *think* they should be OK. The special screws have a slimmer shank and a "bugle head" which gives slightly better "grip" on the facing card.

Reply to
newshound

Extra hard and brittle too to make a good job of splinters and to snap on black knots. Do they still make black knots these days? Or don't they grow the trees that long any more?

Plasterboard nails are zinc coated.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

As long as they're not plain steel which will rust if over painted with emulsion or any water based paint

Reply to
fred

Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder now if they might actually be plain steel not plated :-(

Perhaps I should replace them all.

RobertL

Normally hot-dip galvanized, which is thicker and more durable than plating.

Sounds like a lot of work; AFAIK all the modern pozi headed screws are plated. Just take *one* out and put it in (say) an egg-cup full of water so that it is half in and half out, and wait a couple of days. Mild steel should show signs of rust by then.

Reply to
newshound

Untreated mild steel would show rust a damn site quicker than that!

Reply to
Scott M

Plated will normally be silvery in colour probably nice and shiny if Bright Zinc Plated (BZP on the box). Hot dip galvanized will be a matt light silvery grey but I never come across hot dip galvanized screws only nails. Passivated is a yellowy colour. Plain mild steel are a darker matt grey, they maybe lightly oiled to stop 'em rusting in the box but so lightly that you'd not notice.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

fred grunted in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Screws or nails; either way they are usually skimmed over before painting - I'd assumed it was the wet plaster which was the risky element, ie so you might get a brown stained circle on the ceiling over the steel screw head if the plaster layer was thin enough, and which in turn would get through a layer of emulsion?

Reply to
Lobster

Clout head nails for plasterboard fixing are zinc coated. But a rather thicker coat than on a screw.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)