Screwfix GRP garage doors - why the price difference?

Hello -

I need to replace a rusty steel garage door, and I'm looking at one of the brown GRP doors on at

question is, why do some doors that only apparently differ only slightly in appearance, have such a price difference, eg: New Cheviot 7' x 6' 6" Dark Mahogany Canopy for 349 pounds New Lancashire 7' x 6' 6" Dark Oak Canopy for 519 pounds Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the cheaper one if the appearance is suitable? If I buy one, my shopping list would be:

- Garage door

- Pre-cut wooden frame (to save time)

- Extra assorted masonry fixings

- Plasters and antiseptic cream Is there anything else I should buy in before starting this job?

Thanks

Reply to
Simon

They all seem to be mechanically the same as far as the spec is concerned, and it would be surprising if the mechanisms were different. Generally differences in mechanics and build quality affect the price between manufacturers but it doesn't seem likely here.

One could also think of the difference in complexity of design but these doors are presumably moulded and in volume .

- An additional person to help you do the job

- Some tarpaulins etc. on which to lay the door to avoid damage.

Although GRP doors are generally not that heavy, any large door can wave around,so fitting really is best done with two people.

Reply to
Andy Hall

When you start the job, have the following already in the garage:

- a very bright light to work by

- a good torch for standby

- a flask of tea or coffee

- a good packed lunch

- a container for waste liquids.

HTH

Reply to
Frank Lee Speke-King

- Your mobile.

Reply to
Tony Williams

ly

I have looked at these my self and believe they are wessex doors made to a price. I sourced some of there doors from a large wholesale company and they came on Hormann runing gear. Also consider fully retarctable as well as these can be motorized without the addition of a canopy arm which can add circa =A350. Garage doors vary hugely on price but you should be able to source a reasonable quality one for =A35/600 Pounds. Any less and you are compromising on quality. Legin

Reply to
legin