Scaffolding

I need to get the back wall of my house scaffolded so that I can do some repairs to the rendering and then repaint it. At it's apex it's about 10m from ground level, and due to a neaby pergola, access with a ladder isn't really a starter. Width about 4m, with probably 3 platforms.

I've never had scaffolding before and wondered if there are any particular things to look out for when choosing a company to supply and erect it., There are quite a few local companies to choose from.

I've really no idea what to expect on costs, I'll probably need it for a couple of weeks to allow for weather interruptions.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
DavidM

Check the basis for the hire - some charge a one off fee, most will charge based on the length of hire. The former can be a better bet on larger projects that might overrun.

Not hired any recently, or in your location, so can't really give a figure.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ideally, you should ask a local builder of your acquaintance which ones to avoid.

Whenever I've needed it, the minimum hire period was one month, on the basis that. as most of the cost was in erecting and dismantling it, it wasn't worth their while to charge for any shorter period.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Allegedly they aren't keeen to take it away until they have a new location for it. They normally have far more scaffolding than they can store at the yard.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

All the normal things like member of a trade association, been through approved training courses, builds scaffolds to the correct standards.

Look around your local area at scaffolds erected and ones that look well=

constructed (with tubes and clamps, kickboardsetc, rather than stack tog= ether frames) note the name and number from the banner that will be attached. = Also look for the "scaf tags". Plastic labels that say when the scaffold was constructed, the permissable loading (I think), inspection interval etc.=

Avoid firms that have put scaffolding up but without scaf tags, not even= sure that is legal...

As most of the cost is erection and dismantling you normall get 4 to 6 w= eeks hire included with the initial charge. After that there is a weekly rent= al but for the amount you are having I'd expect that to be in the =A310 to =A320/week range. The initial charge, =A3500 maybe less.

Scaffolding is well worth the cost when painting a wall, it's so much ea= sier and safer than a ladder or small tower. The latter are non too stable wi= th working heights at gable apex, and of course you'll spend time pulling i= t down, moving it, putting it back up again. Proper scaffold gives you acc= ess to the entire wall all the time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

John.

Have you thought of hiring a cherry picker, I find them easier to use and saves the hassle of waiting for the scaffold to go up. If you hire one for three days you can get a lot of work done.

John Rumm;2882538 Wrote:

Reply to
Scottishheather

However, make sure that the people who remove it are the same people who erected it. Scaffolding theft is quite common, it's very easy for a gang to turn up when it looks like the job's finished and tell you they've been sent to take it down. A builder mate of mine has had it happen twice.

Reply to
pcb1962

In message , Nightjar wrote

I tend to agree that labour is probably the most expensive part of the hire. When I had my roof re-tiled the scaffolding (front and back of the property) took 4 men the best part of a day to erect and 3 men a day to dismantle. This doesn't include their travelling time and any additional time at a depot to load the lorry.

Reply to
Alan

Not really had need for one (although it might be a nice way to cut my tall hedge!) When I did have scaff it was when I did my loft conversion, and that really did need scaffolding proper.

Reply to
John Rumm

I know a couple of people who had this problem - just couldn't get the buggers to come and take it away again. In one instance, it had been erected partly on the neighbours' land and they were getting ratty about their path being blocked.

I would try and get recommendations rather than taking pot luck with the Yellow Pages: some of the monkeys I've seen delivering/dismantling scaffolding would struggle to get a job shifting a piano for PG Tips.

Reply to
mike

Thanks to all for your replies! David

Reply to