S.O..problems with tailgaters

Motorway speed limits are set by the Motorway Traffic (Speed Limits) Regulations 1974. The Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 is the Act that imposes a 30mph limit on roads with a system of street lighting and that does not apply to Special Roads, which includes all motorways.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 21/03/2015 03:02, Bill Wright wrote: ...

The biggest single factor in accidents is driver not looking properly, which can happen at any speed, like the chap who drove into the back of my stationery car yesterday, probably at less than the 30mph limit.

BTW the poster you are replying to is best ignored. He has a long history of writing deliberately provocative posts. I think he may be trying to get some sort of personal best for length of thread.

Reply to
Nightjar

Indeed.

^^^ This. Being tailgated is a pretty sure sign you're in someone's way. It's not right, or clever, but that's true.

Yes, sorry. If it's a regular event, rather than once in a while from an aggressive tool.

Is that a speed *limit*, or one of those advisory signs that seems to be set for a Morris Minor on 4 bald crossplies? Even if it is a limit, is it appropriate?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

On 21/03/2015 12:04, Chris Bartram wrote: ...

That may well have been the car they used back in the 1960s, when advisory speed signs started :-)

In theory, an advisory speed is the speed at which a corner can be taken without the sideways force exceeding a level that somebody long ago decided would cause no discomfort to a passenger.

Reply to
Nightjar

What happens behind you is not of your concern, just ignore them. Someone shunting the back of you is assumed guilty by the insurance.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

But take longer to get anywhere and hold everybody up, making the roads busier.

It consumes more fuel for a start.

Then think of the people who don't live their lives as slowly as you when you've got a queue of cars behind you.

They go on the pavements, and they shouldn't be restricted.

Modern tractors can go pretty fast. Otherwise, they can't helkp it and should pull in regularly to let people past.

Best to avoid busy roads, it spooks most horses anyway.

Don't make assumptions. If your brake lights work, they only need thinking distance between you and them. And they're likely to be paying more attention to you, as you're annoying them and they're thinking of a way to get past.

Yes it was perfectly justified if you were deliberately avoiding laybys. If what you say below is true, then no it wasn't.

Then you are most unusual. Most people towing something don't give a shit about everyone else.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

absolutely true - BUT

  1. You will be without your car for the it takes to get it repaired
  2. You car might be elderly and the insurance company just gives you cash - not nearly enought to buy another car.
Reply to
charles

Courtesy car, either from the garage or the insurer. If you shunted me,= I'd take my car to my local garage (walking distance) and he'd lend me = a courtesy car. He doesn't charge for courtesy cars, but if he did it c= ould go on your insurance bill.

When they do that you make a profit. I got =A3700 for a car which I rep= aired for =A375. And that was a shunt to the side. A shunt to the back= will most likely not be enough damage to right it off.

-- =

"These stretch pants come with a warranty of one year or 500,000 calorie= s... whichever comes first."

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

It hurts and may well do permanent damage. Best to avoid getting hit IMNSHO.

Reply to
dennis

I've never been hurt in a car crash, and I've been in one more severe than a rear shunt.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

The problem with tailgaters is... #1 - she no longer anticipates the stupid actions of a driver in front - eg , sudden braking. #2 - whilst she can not control her distance from the vehicle behind, but C AN increase her distance from the vehicle in front of her to compensate - t o allow more gentle braking in an emergency re twit too close. You have to drive for them in effect.

Defensive driving put simply. Females can be very good drivers, but poor at anticipating the other person 's stupidity - but LEARN quickly if coached.

So... #1 - Get her to INCREASE her distance from the vehicle in front to compensa te on every occasion. #2 - If THEY overtake, BRAKE the moment they are clearly along side to get them back in ASAP plus read road ahead because if they DO crash then YOU ca n't stop as quickly as their impact stops them and then YOU get hit (or hit by the car swerving to avoid them). Braking re-opens a safe driving distan ce from what is now a vehicle too close to you in front :-) #3 - Front & rear car camera are important these days, can make drivers bac k off as well. #4 - Train her to focus on the road in front and anticipate and expect stup idity.

When stationary, listen & check mirror for drivers failing to brake - flash brake lights & leave bigger gap in front. Replace tyres at 3mm tread, choose those for wet weather driving. Absolutely avoid driving in fog if possible re phenomenon of X-Ray vision l oons.

If she is tempted to speed, teach her this: At 20mph the impact energy is 400, at 30mph it is 900, at 40mph it is 1600. Telling daughters the same is very important when in someone else's car; an yone can understand it.

Reply to
js.b1

street

The orgination of the thread was talking about illuminated dual carriageway A road. So motorways are a bit of a diversion, but I'll admit I may well have faulty memory of illuminated motorway. The nearest bit of illuminated motorway that I use is the M6 and IIRC the lighting doesn't start until the M55 just north of Preston, that's 68 miles from where I join the M6 at Penrith.

Certainly all the various types of illuminated non-motorway roads I drove today had repeater boards when the speed limit wasn't 30.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I should have added more commentary to the legislation. I was trying to deal with both dual carriage ways and the specific question about motorways from Bob Eager by showing that the regs require repeaters for all roads - including dual carriage ways - with lighting other than motorways . (AIUI that specific let-out for motorways is needed because the regulations dealing with signs define national speed limit (in reg.

5) to include the limit set under the 1974 regs for motorways Colin Bignell has cited.)

Which AIUI is what the law requires.

Reply to
Robin

En el artículo , Nightjar escribió:

Could you take your own advice in the case of Rod Speed?

ditto

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed! Pot, kettle, black comes to mind. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On 20/03/2015 09:35, Nightjar I routinely set the speed limiter on my car to suit the speed limits (I

I routinely get tailgated when driving in a queue of traffic on a road that has average speed cameras.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, it's unbelievable, isn't it. Perhaps Unc and the other members of the tailgaters club here could explain.

Tailgaters somehow believe that because they can safely tailgate someone at 10mph if the tailgatee suddenly brakes, the same applies at

90mph.
Reply to
Tim Streater

You sound as if you're the one who stays in the middle lane at well below the speed limit, not allowing anyone to overtake.

Reply to
Fredxxx

In message , "Dennis@home" writes

I don't normally go over 70 nowadays, loads of vehicles pass me.

Most recent figure I saw was in the low 50's% )which tallies with what Colin says

Reply to
Chris French

First, these are free-flow traffic speed, which means that only those vehicles not impeded by any other traffic and where there are no speed cameras is included.

Second, they cover all vehicles and not all vehicles have a 70mph limit on motorways.

Third, most don't exceed the limit by a large amount; In 2013, overall

47% of cars exceed the 70mph limit, but only 12% did more than 80mph. The average free traffic speed of cars on motorways was 68mph.
Reply to
Nightjar