Ryobi 18v combi drill - anyone got one?

Page 2 of 4

IMM has already stated in the multimeter thread that he's not hands on anymore (if he ever was) so cheap tools are probably adequate for his occasional use.
For serious DIY, few would disagree that pro tools perform better - it's just a question of whether you can or choose to afford them. I've lost count of how mant times I've bought a cheap tool only to replace it with a decent one after experience with it. But of course, many never use these Xmas present sort of tools enough to gain any experience with them.
--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:44:22 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

... at least not regarding the kind of tools that we are talking about here..... ;-)

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Our DeWalt boots man spaketh. he works twiddling bass and treble knobs and then walks around at night in bright yellow DeWalt boots, obviously complete with a CAT hat. What a saddo!

You mean rip off tools.

Seems you know even less about my job than you do about yours. If that's possible. Oh - DeWalt boots were black last time I saw them. Are you colour blind as well?

I'd guess everyone else got the meaning.
--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Toolstation also sell a 600w Ryobi SDS drill on offer for 60 or 70. I'm not sure if it has rotary stop or not. Looks good.

Presumably it says so on the box......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

No doubt it would. It is also from a reputable maker.

not impressed. For the price I suppose they are not bad for non-demanding use, but anything more? No I don't think so.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Perhaps all the pros you talk to are from the same corral as yourself. I've never seen a pro using shed power tools.
--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*

Hi folks I am a newbie to diy but have been reading this ng for a couple of weeks.
My very first question is:
Why does the guy from IMM seem to jump on Andy Hall's back at every opportunity.
My second:
What does IMM mean is it some sort of company or what if it is a company or whatever they should consider their guy some time of cos he seems to be ill.
Peace xxx
Ammer Chewer
wrote in message

I don't. Andy just needs correcting.

???? Uh!

Hammer Chewer wrote:

IMM is jealous because Andy knows stuff, whereas IMM only knows stuff he's read on leaflets. This has resulted in IMM developing a major inferiority complex, which causes his anti-social behaviour.

It stands for International Man of Mystery - like in Austin Powers? It's a little fantasy of his.
--
Grunff

You need lots of bedrest.

Thank's Grunff I hope I haven't upset anyone.
A note on Andy Hall:
My mate said Andy posted a report on a Bosch Router that he had bought and was using it on installing kitchen worktops Andy's report showed that he was impressed by the performance of the router.
Anyway my mate went out and bought the router he still has the router which he said was bought due to Andy's report and he is very very satisfied with the router which he used when installing a kitchen for my Mum.
My mate has used the router to make all his own kitchen units doors and all and has made a brilliant job.
Would it be a good idea if more posters could do similar reports on the tools that they have bought so that people like myself could benefit from the reports.
I would like to thank all you guys out there who help us new to diy I am sure that I speak for lots more like myself.
Peace xxx
Ammer Chewer

See a woodworking mag. They usually are very comprehensive on this sort of stuff.

You are at it again Mr Chewer. You haven't been lurking at all have you? Playing pranks! How childish!

wrote in message

Another one. Let me see you are that silly David dope or silly Plowman. Which one? You are not very good at this are you?

snipped-for-privacy@iname.com (StealthUK) wrote:
Hello StealthUK

Pretty good bargain at Mole Valley Farmers atm - a Skill 18V drill/driver with two 1.3 ah batteries for ~45ukp. It's a good tool, been using it lots. Smart one hour charger, although a single charge has lasted me three days so far - including refitting the furniture on a dozen or so stable doors.
The cheapest 18v Homebase had was ~55 for an unbranded POS.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
I think I'm going to have to try a few out. I'll check Axminster's catalogue as well and see how they rate the stuff including Skil.

As far as I can tell, the B&Q PPro *is* the Ryobi. I have the B&Q PPro kit and it has been extremely good. All the tools work as they should, and I've tackled a series of big projects using nothing but the B&Q set.
I had a problem with the drill, which I regarded as my fault. I was using the drill to drive 500 x 150mm screws into concrete, and the drill coped well with the mechanical gearbox set to "1". However I was using the drill with the torque set to drill and would tighten the screw up until the motor stalled. Eventually the electronic speed control on the drill burned out (after about 300 screws). I took the drill back to B&Q, explained and there was no argument, they simply swopped the entire set for a new one. No mechanical failures despite the abuse.
The reciprocating saw and circular trim saw were used to cut sheet materials down to size and give a good run of cuts to a charge. The 1 hour charger is fine, the three hour charger sucks so check out the spec of the set that you buy (irrespectiv eof whether it is B&Q or Ryobi badged).
Personally I'd go for the B&Q set it's damn good VFM.