RugDoctor any experiences, or recommendations for other carpet cleaners?

We're thinking of hiring a RugDoctor to clean some of our carpets. This is to get them from filthy to acceptable rather than trying to get them looking pristine.

So, does the RugDoctor do a good job in general. Alternatively would we do better (or as well) if we bought a Bissell or Vax carpet cleaner (probably going for one of the Which recommended ones)?

Any/all experiences would be useful to hear.

Reply to
tinnews

The Carpet Cleaning article is one of the best articles on the Wiki

summary, a Rug Doctor is better than a domestic carpet cleaner, but if you have a frequent need to clean carpets at short notice (eg small children) then having a machine in-house might be useful.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wibbled on Wednesday 02 December 2009 22:02

IME absolutely - I've used it several times. Haven't used anything better that can be easily hired.

Vax is OK, but it will not clean like a Rugdoctor - the latter has an extremely viscious scrubber bar which does most of the work.

Get the official cleaner fluid (obviously) and some spot treatment for any yuk bits.

You may have to make a couple of passes if the carpets are really yuk but it will certainly pull crap out. You may wish to factor this in and buy extra detergent or at least be ready to nip back to the hire place and get more if needed.

Reply to
Tim W

I couldn't agree more.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes, I've taken a look at that, noted. Still, personal experiences are useful too.

Small animals rather than children, but similar! :-)

Reply to
tinnews

Thanks all, very useful.

Reply to
tinnews

Cuter and more easily forgiven the occasional woopsie though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It was written with 30 years practical experience :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Rug Doctor is the DIY hire version of the self contained brush extractors used in hospitals, hotels, exhibition halls, clubs etc.

It will bring filthy carpets to pristine standards with little effort.

'Which' know very little about carpet cleaning IMO. Bissel & Vax machines are either dry foam, or minimum duty extractors. If you decide you want a machine of your own go for a Numatic 'George'.

To prevent spots becoming stains use the Rug Doctor Carpet Shield. Does what it says on the tin.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

'Which?' seem to know very little about #most# things. They just pass on other peoples experiences and prejudices

Reply to
JTM

Rented on last weekend to clean two bedroom carpets after fitting a new and identical landing carpet then realising that they looked different.

The carpets had not had heavy wear but I was amazed at the amount of dirt that I tipped out of the collection container.

So yes, in that sense works well.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Yes - very good I found.

Nice to have as well perhaps - but not close to the RD in performance. (not to mention much harder work)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, I don't read Which reports without a pinch of salt but they can help point one in the right direction sometimes. They do actually recommend the RugDoctor you know. :-)

Reply to
tinnews

We had/have a Bissell. It's complete and utter shit. Let's see:

1) The plastic-fantastic "faceplate" at the front of the machine cracked and broke, reducing the already-meagre suction (it's pretty thin plastic for something that has to withstand being bumped into walls etc.). 2) The waste-water tank seal always leaked a little, so there was always a mess in the bottom of the machine to clean up afterwards. 3) The waste-water tank design has some pathways that can never be fully cleaned out because they can't be reached. 4) The seal for the cleaning fluid tank always leaked a little. 5) Once in a while it'd throw the brush belt - it wouldn't break, it'd just come off the pulley, but it was a pain to put back on. 6) A range of attatchments on the hose part may have been a good idea - except that after a while they seem to get stuck on there and are almost impossible to remove (I'm not sure if that's bad latch design, or just that sliding plastic-on-plastic joints in a slightly abrasive environment was never a very clever idea) 7) It clogs up with dirt every so often, requiring a strip-down, clean and rebuild. By "every so often" I mean after every four uses or so.

I actually can't think of a single product I've seen in my whole life that's such poor value for money. It's a whole level worse than, say, Microsoft products, or store-bought coffee machines. I'm just thankful that we're in a house that's nearly all hardwood floors these days, and the %^#*ing Bissell is dumped in a closet that we otherwise never use. I should really pull the motor out of it (as it might come in handy for something one day) and smash the living crap out of the rest with a big sledge hammer.

OK, I feel better now. Rent a Rug Doctor. They work. :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Jules wibbled on Thursday 03 December 2009 13:56

To bet fair, I bet it didn't catch a cold, nick your credit card details and send them to Nigeria, then take part in a bots DDOS party.

Never mind the horseporn...

Reply to
Tim W

That caused a chuckle and brought a smile to my face. Thanks :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

RugDoctor is great for "spring cleaning", obviously not so good for "accidents" compared to keeping something at home.

Bissell is quite pitiful in comparison, but even a Bissell might surprise you with what a "cleaned" carpet can look like, compared to dry vacuuming. The older upright Vaxes have a poor reputation for reliability, but the bigger & more recent models (mine's a 124) seem to have addressed this and do a good job.

I've never been a fan of their recommendations. When they discuss something I do know about, they talk rubbish. So I'm disinclined to trust them when they discuss something I don't.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

*doffs hat* It certainly made me feel better in typing it, and if it means one less Bissell owner in the world, that's got to be a good thing! :-)
Reply to
Jules

Always thought there must be /some/ downside to using Linux.

Owain

Reply to
Owain