Roofing - non slip footwear?

Any recommendations for an inexpensive way to give shoes/trainers better grip/non-slip on slate roofs.

Something to apply to older footwear would be best, temporary or permanent.

Reply to
Phnix

Correct footwear is best worn when you're climbing on proper roof ladders and frames. Your shoes should not to be relied upon when the roof itself is slippery, wet or covered in moss.

Some roofs are not meant to be walked on, and some are far to steep to allow you to walk on the slope. So you're so much safer to rely on a proper roof ladder than just your footwear.

Reply to
BigWallop

So you don't know then?

Reply to
Phöènix

In message , Phöènix writes

Yes, Hire a roof ladder.

Reply to
Danny Burns

Flexible shoes, not boots, with a good bold tread work best for me. On anything other than brand new roofs, they seem better than rock- climbers super-grip footwear. You may also want a harness, rope and instruction how to rig safety gear. Sliding off and breaking both arms [happened to a friend, just from a detached garage] does not speed the job, and being caught by your mate as you were sliding past him [happened to me] is dodgy. Best bet really is:-

Reply to
roger

Your suggesting I attach roof ladders to each of my trainers?

If you have nothing to say, SAY NOTHING!

Your post does not contribute. The roof ladder aspect has already been mentioned and clearly, from previous posts, is not what was asked.

My question is simple, as plainly are you.

I do not see a reason to list the equipment in use nor the specifics on the job in hand when asking a simple question.

Just to humour you (it shouldn't take much) I do have roofladders and use them. They are not appropriate to cover every foot of every roof. Sometimes it is necessary and safer to step away from ladders rather than move them. Having done this many times I wondered whether anyone on this forum had come across a product that would increase confidence in the grip my footwear gives me when I have a foot or both off the ladders.

Now I can see you are the type to erect scaffolding to clean windows so perhaps you might realise your comments are inappropriate for many people who apply a certain measure of common sense to their safety precautions.

Reply to
Phöènix

With that attitude, I honestly hope you slide off and hurt yourself. Then the job will take longer to do, if it ever gets done at all, and you'd then realise that the roof ladder would have been a better idea.

Everyone who answered your question, has advised that you take safety precautions while working at height on sloping surfaces, so now it's entirely up to you.

Smear Super Glue on your soles, or get ready to say goodbye to your soul.

Reply to
BigWallop

shoes/trainers

footwear

precautions.

So if someone suggested something that might be suitable, and which you used, but later, possibly caused you to fall from a roof, and cripple yourself, you would not be bitter about the suggestion?

Perhaps you have received no replies, because people are not prepared to risk being sued, by giving you information which could land them with a hefty compensation bill, if anything did happen to you.

Reply to
Gavin Gillespie

No I'm suggesting you put your trainers on a roof ladder to give to a better grip on the roof.

If you don't want to hear a reply DON'T ASK. There has been no mention of a roof ladder in this thread.

Why bother asking then, you obviously know everything.

I'd like to know how you come to that conclusion from my simple suggestion. If your not confident on a roof you shouldn't be on it, there is no magic solution just basic common sense measures.

Sometimes on plain tile roofs it is even necessary to strip a few tiles and walk on the underlying battens or kick up interlocking tiles. But as far as slates go there is no easy method and you have to rely on the ladder to spread your weight as well.

Reply to
Danny Burns

Just noticed there was a reference to a roof ladder, in an earlier post but my points still stand and you've still got an attitude problem.

Reply to
Danny Burns

(blah)

Oh for gooness sake, Go to a ships chandlers and ask what yachting people use on wet slippery decks canted over at 45 degrees.

Any soft foam rubber sole will do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think if you read between the lines, he is actually saying "dont do it, get some proper ladders instead".

It sounds like good advice to me !

Reply to
Alan Campbell

READ THE ABOVE DIPSHIT!

Can you not read? I HAVE A ROOF LADDER.

I am not asking about how to access my roof or how to procede with the job.

Did it sound like I wouldn't.

You could answer every thread here just by saying and describing adequate safety precautions.

The best way to do this particular job involves straddling a gulley. It is not very dangerous but good non-slip footwear just makes it easier.

I was asking for others experience of something that may make the job even safer.

I guess you are the guy they talk about who ends up in casualty 10 times a year.

Reply to
Phöènix

[quote] Correct footwear is best worn when you're climbing on proper roof ladders and frames. Your shoes should not to be relied upon when the roof itself is slippery, wet or covered in moss.

Some roofs are not meant to be walked on, and some are far to steep to allow you to walk on the slope. So you're so much safer to rely on a proper roof ladder than just your footwear. [end quote]

Cognitive reasoning is not your stong point is it.

Like I said why not read a question and answer that if you are going to bother replying at all.

If you thought that then why make such an inane reply.

Reply to
Phöènix

*plonked into killfile*
Reply to
David Hearn

You make a smart arse snipe as you did and that is what you provoke....

....and you have a reading problem and an intelligence deficiency and suffer an abscence common sense.

Reply to
Phöènix

It is fair advice for anyone who needs general advice on how to access a roof.

I guess I was asking whether there was a tip or trick that the trade may use could be helpful. There does not appear to be.

Know where I can get some roof ladders?

(just kidding)

Reply to
Phöènix

Take it as a smart arsed snipe if you like, that is not how it was intended, but I doubt if you care.

my reading problem is kicking in now.

Good luck in your search for your magic shoes.

Plonk!!

Reply to
Danny Burns