roof & conservatory cleaning

I live in aberdeen,can anybody could be the roughist idea what would be a fair price to be expected to pay for the brushing down moss etc from roof and conservatory.I live in a bungalow with a slight sloping of roof on the conservatroy which has collected the rubbish blowing from the roof. What do I ask about what is involved also if I ask if they are insured what if they say yes how do I know?I wouldnt want to claim on my insurance if there was any damage,anything else I need to be aware of before I get quotes thank you

Reply to
itsnaeme

itsnaeme explained on 29/05/2013 :

I would advise against it, there have been numerous cases where they have used pressure washers and caused serious damage in the process. To kill and keep moss from growing on a roof, just run bare copper wires across at the high points, so the copper sulphate which forms, washes down the roof.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I agree - roofs are not meant to be treated like that.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Ask to see a copy of their public liability insurance.

I wouldnt want to claim on my insurance if there was

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Vi. expressed precisely :

Running some bare copper wire across the roof needn't cost much at all. Anyone with a head for heights could do it. Just a matter of running the wire horizontally along at the highest point, so the sulphate formed runs down as much of the roof as possible. It will then kill off the moss without any damage to the roof at all.

Pressure washing is known to do considerable damage to the roof and if used the wrong way, could force water into your loft. It might look clean after pressure washing, but the moss will soon re-grow.

Never accept the offer from anyone approaching you, to do any work on your home. Reputable people do not offer to do work, you need to seek them out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Aha! Is that why I sent the Zenith man (more boy, really) away with a flea in his ear... ?

Reply to
polygonum

I noticed in Germany that their roof tiles are glazed. they look attractive and will stay looking cleaner.

Any snags?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I noticed apparently glazed roof tiles in several other countries.I also noticed that most of the glazed ones seemed to be new, or at least not old.

Further observation and thought suggested to me that in fact they possibly all had a feint glaze when new but that it becomes less shiny over the years - to the extent of looking entirely unglazed.

Reply to
polygonum

On Thursday 30 May 2013 19:39 polygonum wrote in uk.d-i-y:

China have been using glazed tiles for centuries - wonder why others don't...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Copper wire? Another internet fable. Doesn't work. Tried it years ago. An old wives tale.

Reply to
fred

It certainly does, try it!

Research copper sulphate and moss.