ripoff - building "over" public sewer

If you want to build within 3 metres of a severn trent sewer, you have to pay them 750 quid. You have to have a camera survey before and after done buy a company they specify (back-handers going on wherever you look), and they have to inspect the full architects plans. I can understand they want to check you haven't broken a public sewer, but it seems a bit steep. They only started doing it in 2004. I bet it was after they were hassled for fixing leaks again. Any trick to get round this one ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Sell up and clear out.

£750 hardly covers the insurance of it going wrong does it? How much can it cost to lose a camera? Sending someone to see the architect's plans and all the other work is a fairly expensive hobby too. I wouldn't want to have to do it for an old building site at my own expense.

Then there's the small matter of paying the survey team and processing their findings. If you don't like it, don't vote for Margaret Thatcher.

Oops! Too late.

Still she accomplished a lot of good things. The Falklands for instance. Well, maybe not that exactly but...

Well there must be something good that came out of privatisation?

The National Health Service. There, I knew there would be something good. And spitting images was a top show too. I loved her for her smile. And her blue handbag. Was her husband a lesbian?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Next door are about to build an extension next to a deep drain on my side and to cover themselves they had a TV survey done on it last week. I was surprised how quick and easy it was, also at the quality of the pictures. The firm that did it was called DrainScan, quoted price on their website £169+VAT

Tony Bryer

I have to do this not for cover, but because its a public sewer and severn trent insist. Apparently BCOs are not allowed on site until its been OK'd.

Thats what I thought. Severn trent are charging according to my BCO friend. around 750 quid ! So they are ripping me off ! They choose the company to do the survey. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

750 quid don't sound too bad for 2 surveys, and a professiesional assement of your plans. I'd be more worried about having insurance to make sure you don't have to pay up if the worst does happen.

And how to avoid it, don't build there.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Ah, the joys of privatisation and democracy. Would you have been able to sue the local water board in the good old days?

Mind you you could have voted them out of orifice. Just like they voted Maggie out.

Ha!

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I'm not right on top of the sewer, about 2 metres away, but within their

3 meters rule. There's no reason I should break it, although I would be careful if weilding a mini-digger. Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

And your evidence for this is exactly what?

They have an obligation to ensure the integrety of their network and it is reasonable that they only allow the job to be done by qualified people. £750 for two camera surveys and the professional inspection of plans does not sound out of the ball park.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I spoke to a local architect who has done work in the street, he said Thames did it first, and other WAs saw how much money it made. He said it is blackmail, and they do it on the hope that you damage the sewer and then have to pay and they get their sewers replaced for free ! His opinions were stronger than mine. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I spoke to a local architect who has done work in the street, he said Thames did it first, and other WAs saw how much money it made. He said it is blackmail, and they do it on the hope that you damage the sewer and then have to pay and they get their sewers replaced for free ! His opinions were stronger than mine.

Not to put too fine a point on it but he was talking out of his backside!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland