Boiler flue outlet over public pavement?

Can anyone clarify the building regs regards whether a modern condensing combi boiler flue oulet can be over a public pavement? I was told by a B&Q asistant: "Yes, as long as it is 3 mtrs above the pavement". Is that correct?

Also, he said that the flue itself cannot be more than 3 mtrs in length and that a 90-degree bend counts as 1mtr. Is that correct?

What about the drain pipe for the boiler? Can that spill out onto a public pavement? The B&Q guy said 'yes', but can someone confirm?

Many thanks,

Rich W

Reply to
Rich W

I think you want to consult someone who can visit and has the faintest idea what they are talking about. The B&Q bod didn't on most of the points.

Top Posters are deleted.

Reply to
EricP

Our church boilers have the terminals over the pavement: I got express consent from the Council Highways department and there was no objection. There may have been a 3m min: ours are higher than this.

This will depend on the boiler in question

Definitely not IMO. In a period of freezing weather the condensate will turn into a lethal patch of ice.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:40:30 +0100 someone who may be Tony Bryer wrote this:-

Tho OP didn't say which country he is in. Here the boilers of a church were replaced a couple of years ago. The terminals are on a wall adjacent to the pavement are are about 1.8m off the pavement level.

The condensate pipes from the church go out into a grating, which is connected to a shallow drain cut across the pavement and thus to then road. In theory this should avoid the ice problem, but it doesn't because the shallow drain soon freezes up.

Reply to
David Hansen

This is not a gas fitting constraint but a nuissance/pollution question.

That will depend on the boiler make and model, this specific data is plausible for some models (and rather tight compared to the average).

I doubt it. The condensate must be dealt with correctly and discharging on to a walkway let alone a public one is a wrong. Then there is the matter of occasional drips from the flue...

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I'm surprised at that. I may sometimes be thought to have my head in the clouds but I'd rather not have to do dodge one on a cold still day!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:25:55 +0100 someone who may be Tony Bryer wrote this:-

The boiler house wall is not particularly high. They do have baffle plates and it is not a great problem.

Reply to
David Hansen