Re: Building a garage above public sewer (UK)

Not sure about the depths, but building on a 6" thick slab would only require minimal excavation.Don't plan on a pit! Alternatively for a single garage, you could use pile foundations in some form or other with a reinforced concrete link frame to build walls upon. Hope this helps. Regards Capitol

turned out to be a pair of sewers < 1m apart > - 300mm surface water > - 150mm waste > >The 150mm waste in particular appears to run damn close to directly >underneath, and parallel to where one of the garage walls was >proposed, the other will just be underneath the main part of the >garage. There are no manhole covers under the proposed garage, the >nearest being approx 1.25m away from the garage rear wall. There is >only approx .5m space outside the proposed garage that is still our >land. > >Currently a car is parked here. We had wanted a brick garage. This >requires reasonable foundations and I'm not sure whether we have any >realistic options especially as the pipe is parallel > >We alternatively are considering a wooden built garage to propose as >the construction is lighter. Would this make things smoother? > >The invert of both is listed at around "25" - is this 25" deep >perhaps? I have no idea! > >An alternative is of course to entirely rejig the plans.... > >What are the realistic chances of being permitted to build here - we >would have to submit an application to Southern Water if we decided to >try. > >What else should we consider/do/propose/find out about! > >Thanks >Nigel >nigel at planetf1 .... .worldonline.co.uk
Reply to
Capitol

I built a garage over a sewer and we were told dig the foundations deep enough to uncover the sewer and then cover the pipework with "jablite" polystyrene and fill the trench with concrete over the sewer. We had to dig about 7 feet deep trench and step it back up to normaldepth it used a lot of concrete. Talk to the building control dept at the local council ive found them very helpful at queries like this.Rob

Reply to
rob w

From the chaotic regions of the Cryptosphere, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Nigel Jones) wrote on 13 Jul 2003 15:17:30 -0700:

It's down to the water company. IMHO, there's a chance that you may be allowed to build over the 150mm diameter sewer, but that would almost certainly not be the case with the 300mm. With the both in combination, it looks even less likely.

If it were able to be built over, the foundations would have to be excavated to a depth of 150mm below the invert of the sewer. Piling would be problematic, as they would have to be augered rather than driven, ruling out a mini-piling rig. If the sewers are very deep (I can't see the depth being 25", that's only 635mm, which wouldn't be enough cover on a 300mm pipe), a raft would be a better prospect, as the total additional load on top of the pipe would be quite low.

One of the water company's concern is gaining access in the future, so they may well object to a timber garage also (this would have other problems in terms of Building Regulations in relation to combustible material less than 1m from your boundary).

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

If there is an easement, you should talk to the City Engineer. You may be able to build over it. In the US, the owner is liable for the cost of the easement owner accessing the underground utilities. It could mean your garage is damaged when the sewer is repaired some day and you would be responsible for the added cost of them dealing with your garage as well as the cost of repairing the garage. However, with no manhole nearby, the City Engineer can work with to determine if you can built and what restrictions and risks you will be facing.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips