Ridge Tile on Kent Peg roof

I have had my chimney pots lined recently and needed scaffolding to be installed. Looking around up there I was horrified to find that the gable roof where it meets the main roof the ridge tile was shattered into pieces and the felt all exposed. Furthermore, the lead "saddle" had been fitted underneath the ridge tile rather than over the top which is totally out of keeping with the other roofs and just doesn't make sense!

Unable to find a jobbing roofer willing to undertake such a "small" repair I decided to do it myself, I was going to replace some kent peg whilst I has the scaffolding up anyway.

This involved the hairy task of climbing down a scafollding ladder bolted to the gantry and then shuffling along the ridge of the gable - I'm sure you roofers are used to it but its scary to say the least!

Anyhow, onto my problem.

I went to to local reclaim tile.brick yard and managed to get some kent peg - all sorts of sizes and shapes I note - but also a ridge tile that was perfect. I bought 2 just in case. One I honed down so that it is cut to the same pitch as the roof.

Now my dilema, do I plant the ridge tiles all the way along the ridge where they were missing/broken and butt up to the battons on the main roof and then cut the tiles down to fit around the protuding ridge tile or butt my ridge tile up to the outside of the tiled roof.

If I butt up to the main room battons I am more likely to get a decent seal - at least I think so.

And how do I make the new "saddle" stay in place?

and finally, the original ridge tile was 12 inches long and it looks like the bit that went against the roof was just a triangular shaped slither. I bought a 14" replacement but it will still be too short to use just one ridge tile.

Should I try and cut both tiles so they are approximately covering half of the gap each or is it best to try and keep the tiles as long as possible and fill in with a small piece at the end?

can anyone help?

many thanks all,

sadsjon

Reply to
sadsjon

want to sell me some tiles, I have the materials, I just want to know how to place my ridge tile really.

I am quite enjoying life on the dangerous side ...

I am looking forward to the sense of achievement that I have clambered up on the roof and fixed it myself.

can anyone advise me?

thanks all

jON

Reply to
sadsjon

I had the leadwork redone around a chimney, and the guy (who seemed to know what he's doing, and has done a very nice job) also lifted off the end ridge tile to put the flashing underneath, so I presume it's not incorrect. There are two layers of lead at that point.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thats an interesting thought Andrew however, this was very definately just one layer of lead under the ridge tile and none over the ridge tile. All the other houses in our row had the last ridge tile leaded over.

Either the rest of the lead fell off the roof (that would smart - an

18" square of lead would be quite heavy on your head) or it was never in place. I reckon it was missing and was bodged - it would be in keeping with other bodges I have discovered.

But I would dearly love someone to tell me, quite simply, do I ridge tile up to the batons or up to the main roof slope (kent peg tiles).

This is the only query I have, everything else is sorted and whilst last weekend was silly hot, this weekend will be wet and windy and I really want to sort it out before the rest of my roof blows away :-)

anyone have any thoughts on this?

cheers all,

jON

Reply to
sadsjon

Original works look like they exploded. Thats all I can say ... quite literally no evidence to guide me one way or tother.

jON

Reply to
sadsjon

Either way doesn=92t matter, on top is easier but unsightly. I=92ve always been taught to put it over the top of the tiles under the ridge and dress down over the valley tiles. Make sure you return the lead back on its self at the end on the ridge tree and the other end that goes up the main roof goes under two tiles.

Reply to
Kipper at sea