RFID Chips

Not sure if this is on topic here, but I can't seem to find any groups with RFID in the name!

Does anyone know the requirements for reading the RFID chips installed in animals?

We have two cats with said "PetLog" chips installed

have this item
it can't seem to read the cat's RFID tags - maybe they are too small (The chips, not the cats!)?

Any suggestions!?

Ta :-)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

================================= Try 'googling' for 'pet chip scanner' where you'll find several references.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

There are a number of different formats, and 2 different frequencies used for these. There are standards for pet tags, and ISTR they are different from the more commonly used tags for probably historical rather than technical reasons. There is a second issue that the small size of the pet tag's antenna means that the reader needs to produce a fairly powerful field to read them, and a door-lock type reader may not put out enough power to activate the tag at the required distance.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

item

> But it can't seem to read the cat's RFID tags - maybe they are too small

There are multiple protocols and frequencies. Try asking Mannings

manatbandq

Also, I thought Tesco said they were going over to RFID on their products? Maybe I misunderstood, but I haven't seen any. If there were, could I read my e-passport (which I don't have yet) with the same reader as a tin of baked beans?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Apparently, cats are particularly difficult to read anyway. The chips can migrate around under their skin, so the first task is finding where the chip actually is.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Your door reader operates at 125kHz but the pet chip may be a 132.5kHz device according to:- "Europe uses International Standards Organisation (ISO) regulation chips, which operate at a frequency of 132.5 kHz (also known as FDX-B chips), while the US uses an older style, 125 kHz chip (known as FDX-A). "

quote comes from this article:-

Geo

Reply to
Geo

You think thats sad ?, you should look at barcodes!

Dave

Reply to
gort

Indeed so.

Wrong, the first task is to find where the cat actually is. Schrödinger had a small Tabby cat and understood cat location difficulties as few have since. Where the cat appears to be, and where it actually is, are often some distance apart. Add to that the difficulty of locating the cat in the temporal plane and you have a conundrum an RFID reader is far to primitive to solve.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Where the cat is is the intersection of:

- where it's not supposed to be

- where you don't think it is

- where it wants to be

- as far away from the cat-basket as possible when you need to take it to the vet

Technology schmecknology.

Open tin of tuna. Cat appears.

Owain

Reply to