repost from elsewhere: damp problem

(from one of the freecycle groups, someone asking for advice)

----- I have a severe problem with damp in my house and I wondered if anyone out there had experienced a similar problem and managed to solve it?

My house walls are solid 9" brick, rendered all over. The front, north- facing wall is the worst (as it gets all the bad weather):the render forms tiny hairline cracks and water gets in.

It has been repaired and treated several times over the past 10 years, but we have never managed to cure the problem. Consequently we have been unable to successfully decorate our children's bedrooms in all that time.

If anyone has any recommendations to solve my problem, or can put me in touch with somone who can do something for me, please let me know.

-----

For now, i've asked the following:

----- Are you in a "normal" house or bungalow ?

Where abouts is the damp - at low level, all across the wall ?

What are the guttering arrangements - a picture might be of use too !

You may also find something of use over at the above groups' wiki page:

(although at first glance I saw nothing in particular jump out at me, although the "Period Property Links" might hold something of use)

Is the damp definitely *penetrating* or could it be poor ventilation inside the house causing the problem ?

-----

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Barring the obvious such as gutters pouring down the walls, it sounds like the rendering has had it. Is it original, or added later on, and if so, any idea why?

The other possibility is poor heating and ventilation, such that the outside walls are all forming condensation on the insides.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

with qs like this. I'd point em there.

NT