Replacing part of a mixer tap

Some friends who live out in the country miles from anywhere have a kitchen mixer tap that's faulty.

Last time I was there I took the tap apart to find the bit that needs replacing and the attached photo shows what it's like. I put it back in the tap so they can still use until my next visit.

I took the photo to the plumbers merchant who said I needed to take the head of the tap in as the splines are all different on these things.

So, any suggestions as to how I can get an accurate impression of the splines without my friend having to post me the head of his tap?

Best I can come up with so far is for him to do it with Blue Tack

Reply to
Murmansk

Just count the splines and (probably unnecessary) measure the overall diameter.

Reply to
Scott M

They are 'sometimes' different, but 90% of the time they are standard. Wilkinsons sell them cheaply enough.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why not just fit one of these?

For around £15, you get two complete tap handles with all the mechanical bits that go with. A piece of cake to replace both in 5 minutes.

Reply to
GB

SF have them for less.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I measured mine with an electronic vernier gauge. Outer diameter and inner diameter to bottom of splines.

Reply to
.

But in my bathroom they would no longer match the bath taps, so it would look weird when I come to sell the house.

Reply to
.

SF do three types;

any of those match?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, mine have a little blue or red "flash" indent down the side of the tap head, quite distinctive. The taps in the downstairs lav are the same. Obviously, only a minor problem, but why change the tap heads if unnecessary? I found the right spline size after a bit of searching.

Reply to
.

This site will help you to identify what you need:

DerbyBorn

Nice find! What are my chances of finding that link when I need to?

Reply to
GB

GB wrote in news:52ce8d0d$0$1158$5b6aafb4 @news.zen.co.uk:

It is one of those sites that I saw years ago and thought "this will come in handy one day" A bit like Shower Doctor in Edinburgh. A marvellous reference - and I hope it seves them well with business.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

GB wrote in news:52ce8d0d$0$1158$5b6aafb4 @news.zen.co.uk:

I think this site should be on all of our "Favourites"

DerbyBorn