Replacing pane in double-glazing

Inner pane has cracked top to bottom. UPVC double glazed unit, non-opening, about 2ft square. Is this something I can replace myself? How do I look at how it's fixed - can I take off the sealing bead, if I do will I need to replace it with new or can I use the old stuff? It's a year old, will both the internal and external panes be Pilkington(?) K?

Should I just get a glazier to do it?

Ta

Pete

Reply to
PM

Presumably the beads are internal? In which case, it's really easy. You just remove the beads (use a sharp object to prise them out), remove the dg unit, put the new one in, and put the beads back on.

Whether you need to replace the beads depends on whether you break them when removing them. Some beads are easier than others.

You'll be amazed how cheap dg units are. I've just paid £24/sqm for 13 sqm of glass (non K). K was about £36/sqm.

Reply to
Grunff

Check with your insurance company first. Ours replaced the pane free of charge under our buildings insurance AND organised the glazier to come and measure it, make up a new unit and then fit it.

Roger.

Reply to
Roger Wareham

I've taken a few double glazed glass units out of frames recently. The dg windows were about 10 years old.

Remove inner black rubber strips Prise out retaining sections from outside. These are the sections that have a thinner rubber strip which seals the window. Remove glasss.

One window had metal fixing clips which made replacement of the glass difficult. We removed (stuck with sealant only) the ones on the vertical sections.

Neil

Reply to
Niel A. Farrow

Was this an accident or did it just crack by itself? My dg was fitted by a local installer after about a year a crack spread across one window. They replaced it foc without a quibble.

Reply to
BillR

Hi I doubt that's worth it, effect on future premiums would probably outweigh the small cost.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Cracked by itself. It's a very neat crack, no impact point or anything. We reckon it's an installation problem (too tight in the frame?) but the DG company won't even come and look because glass isn't covered under the guarantee. We might get a glazier round for his opinion, and get the money back from the DG co if it is a fault.

Pete

Reply to
PM

Yeah, been there with car insurance!