Replacing old toilet with close-coupled unit

I'm thinking of replacing an old toilet with a modern close-coupled unit. The old toilet has probably been there for the last 40 odd years. The cistern seems to be made from black Bakelite. This is low-level and is screwed to the wall with a pipe about 18 inches (46 cm) long connecting it to the toilet bowl. This toilet has an 'S' trap which goes into a cast iron waste pipe. The distance from the wall to the centre of the waste pipe is about 9 inches (23 cm).

If I replace this with a close-coupled unit, will it push the toilet bowl further from the wall than it already is and, if so, will the new cistern need some kind of support. For example, would I need to build some sort of box to lean the cistern up against?

Reply to
Wesley

In my experience, close coupled pans are usually *closer* to the wall than than the older low-level ones. The main problem usually is getting the waste in the right place to connect up to the old waste pipe - particularly if it disappears vertically through the floor.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Having done this recently, yes, the tank won't go straight back against the wall. Unless you trim the waste pipe completely flat against the wall and really push the 'bowl' hard against the wall. Personally I wouldn't worry. The new toilet is so much more stable than the old one and a couple of inches gap is no big thing (just tile behind it).

Reply to
Road_Hog

You will have a problem making a modern close coupled toilet fit. The drain is usually too far from the wall. This means you would have to rig up something to support the tank. You can fit battens to the wall and erect a complete new "partition wall" in front of existing using plaster board.. You need to put tank support batten in the wall too. You need to do some careful measuring before you start to get the drain ending up the correct distance from the new wall

Or dig up and modify the (drain big job).

Or just buy a new non close coupled toilet.

I should have mentioned that the cast iron waste outlet pipe is in the

*floor* and can't easily be moved as it's in an upstairs room.

Would it be possible to install a close- coupled toilet and build a box behind it afterwards? That way I could be sure of getting the measurements for the box right. Is the cistern on these toilets completely supported by the toilet pan or do they rely on leaning against a wall for some of their support?

Reply to
Wesley

Completely supported by the pan and completely stable. They're bolted on to the pan, they don't move an inch.

Reply to
Road_Hog

I have to disagree with that. They're bolted onto the pan - yes - but via a compressed rubber doughnut which allows quite a lot of articulation. I wouldn't fancy having one which was *not* supported by the wall (to keep it upright and remove the strain from the coupling rather than to support the weight).

Reply to
Roger Mills

Many of the new cisterns don't actually have fixing holes in the back at all.

I'd agree about the doughnut wobble, especially if the users are on the large side.

Install it, build a box behind & Gripfill it to the box.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I fitted one just before Christmas.

I am a fair size. 6'2" and 17 stone (like a rugby player, not a fat bastard). I tend to dump down on the toilet (not descend gently). It's fine, it doesn't move an inch (or a millimeter, for you Continentals).

Reply to
Road_Hog