Replacing dead TRV

The conclusion of my question earlier this week was that a TRV on one of my downstairs radiators needs replacing.

I was advised by a friend that all that is required to replace it was:

  1. Turn off power to boiler (to make sure pump is off).
  2. Unscrew both TRV and valve to free radiator.
  3. Tilt radiator into a bucket to empty it.
  4. Remove dead TRV from radiator and fit new one.
  5. Reattach radiator (TRV and valve) to pipes.
  6. Top up system, bleed air, and go.

Is that he right procedure?

- How does the water from the radiator not flood the floor when he TRV and valve are unscrewed from the feeding pipes (at least until I manage to hold it above a bucket)?

- How come the water from the system (especially upstairs) not continue to flow through the now unattached pipes?

Reply to
JoeJoe

If you follow the above procedure it will!

TRVs come in two parts, the top half contains the thermostat and adjuster and is outside the water system; it merely pushes and releases the valve. If the fault is in that you can simply unscrew the collar and replace it with a new one.

If the fault is in the valve (usually a stuck pin) you can try oil and pulling and pushing it with pliers. If that doesn't work (and it probably won't) you have to drain the system down to the level of the valve before replacing the valve.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Also note that the "water" may actually be more like black permanent ink...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I am glad I asked! ;-)

Reply to
JoeJoe

- The radiator went completely cold last week.

- Tried to turn valve and/or TRV - nothing.

- I unscrewed the top half of the TRV and put it aside. Radiator was hot again.

- Held "top half" above pin and pushed gently - pin seems to be going up and down freely.

- I made sure dial on "top half" was set correctly, and screwed "top half" back - radiator cold again.

I tried the above several times, inc turning dial, etc - still no luck.

So with the "top half" screwed on the radiator cold, and without it it is warm.

Advice I was given here was that the TRV was probably ready for the bin, and hence my questions about replacing it.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Sounds like just the head needs replacing, is it a known brand?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You might be lucky and be able to replace just the head, since the valve body sounds to be OK. Most recent TRVs have the same thread connecting the head and the body (M30x1.0) but older ones might be M28x1, M28x1.5 (or is it 1.25?) or a clamp screw. The problem is that ordinary catalogues (Toolstation, Screwfix, etc) don't say what threads their valves use, and it's not obvious without taking the valve apart.

Does your old valve have a maker's name on it?

Andrew G is dead right about the stuff that comes out when you drain a rad: its opacity and permanence are directly proportional to the lightness of your carpet.

Reply to
Kevin

Photos are here:

So, looks like and old Dryton model (was already here when we moved in

12 years ago).

I can buy one of these:

and try the head with the old valve.

If still not working then I can always use it to replace the whole thing.

Reply to
JoeJoe

In a word, no. Its missing some important points.

First thing to do is establish of this is a sealed system or a vented one with a header tank.

Starting from step 2, if you fully turn both valves off to the rad, you can then drain that rad. Unless you have fancy valves with included drain points, then you will need to do this at the union to the rad. Opening the bleeding valve on the rad will make it easier. As you crack open the nut on the union, water will leak out - you will need to catch this in something. Keep going till the rad is empty.

Now once the rad is empty you can focus on the TRV. If you have a vented system, then you will need to first block the feed and expansion and vent pipes on the header tank with bungs to create a hydraulic lock. This will stop air being able to flow into the system and limit the amount of water that can escape quickly.

If the system is sealed, you can open the rad valve (assuming it works well enough for that) and drain a few litres of water to release the system pressure. Once the volume of the expansion vessel has drained you should be in the same hydraulic lock state as with the vented procedure above.

Now you can undo the compression fitting that fixes the TRV to the pipe tail. Keep downward pressure on the head of the TRV as you do it, and relatively little water will escape (a couple of cups full). Beware that the water may be full of magnetite and that stuff stains!

Have the new one sat to hand ready to fit. When the nut is free of the valve, swiftly take the valve off, and stick your thumb over the pipe end. Then swiftly take your thumb off the pipe, and put the new valve on and apply downward pressure. Now hope that the protrusion past the olive on the pipe is not too long for the new valve, and that the old backnut fits the new valve. Lastly you can tighten the nut. The system is now water tight again.

Then the fun of reconnecting the valve to the rad. If you are lucky the new valve may fit the old stub in the radiator[1]. If not you will need to remove that and fit the one supplied with the valve. (many older fittings had a metal to metal cone joint to the rad. Many newer ones have a small pipe stub that goes into the rad, and another compression fitting to lock on to it on the valve).

Now you can unbung and refill or re-pressurise as required and fill/bleed the rad.

[1] The stubs in in the rads can be changed either by gripping flats on the outside of the stub with an adjustable spanner, or more traditionally, by using a large hex key designed for the purpose that fits up the valve stub. The new stub should be wrapped with a good quantity (15 turns or so) of PTFE before insertion.
Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry, should have mentioned that it is a combi-based system, no tanks, so I assume it is what you referred to as "sealed" system.

Reply to
JoeJoe

That sounds like the actual valve bit is still working, and its just the TRV head that has failed. In which case its a much simpler swap since you may not need to touch the wet bit if you can get a new valve with the same or similar head.

Reply to
John Rumm

More than likely... vented combi's are rare.

In most respects a sealed system is easier for this once you have drawn off some water to drop the pressure.

Reply to
John Rumm

Last time I did this I closed flow and return at the combi and closed all of the valves on the rads. There wasn't much water came out - if you're quick the TRV end of the rad. being disconnected can be blocked - so I didn't need to top up the inhibitor.

Reply to
PeterC

A wet(and dry) vacuum cleaner can be a godsend for these jobs.

Reply to
Robert

That depends on how lucky you are how many small tins you have and wheter you can plug the ends while you fiddle with the old and new bits of course. Its messy though I've seen people doing it. Maybe you could freeze the water with one of those mega expensive freeze the pipe kits. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I can't understand why just refitting the head makes the radiator go cold. Is it just possible that the adjustment has been turned a complete revolution too far? What is the usual failure mode for a head. It would have to be that the inner part extends and this does not seem feasible.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Either the wax capsule, or some part within the head has got wedged?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Someone here suggested the same.

I had a look at the head. I am not sure if the part inside that presses the pin in supposed to move up/down when turning the dial, but it doesn't.

Reply to
JoeJoe

The wax cartridge inside should make it move up and down as the room cools down and warms up.

Also as you turn it to a hotter setting it should lift the whole capsule and its plunger further up away from the pin.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Mike Clarke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

+1