Replacing corroded steel lintel

Just had a surveyor's report on a house (detached) that I'm looking at buying. In his report he's written "The steel lintel above the living window has corroded causing cracking and displacement to the adjoining masonry. The lintel should be replaced". Is this a big job and is it going to be costly? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Delmary

Provided it can be replaced with a new lintel of the same size, and be compliant with the regs, it shouldn't be too major I would have thought.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not massive I wouldn't have thought; however is this a one-off or is it feasible that other or all other windows are similarly affected?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'm hoping it's a one-off. I'm going to speak to the surveyor tomorrow. I've been told it will cost about =A31000 to put right. I can live with that if true.

Reply to
delmary

Sounds high to me. Mind you if it involves scaffolding and a complete decorate later, it could be that much.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher