replacing a double-glazed glass unit - not the frame?

I have been a bit of a plonker and shut us out of the house... (the key in the garden was temporarily in the kitchen!).

So, having smashed through the double-glazed unit of the bathroom window to gain entry, I now have to repair it.

I have removed the sealing pieces on the inside of the frame and removed the broken unit.

If I order a new double-glazed glass unit the same size, is there anything I should be aware of before attempting to re-fit it myself, to save a glazier's call-out fee.

It seems a simple operation. Is it?

Many thanks in advance,

Keith

Reply to
Keith (Dorset)

A call to a locksmith would have been cheaper.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Make sure you know what the overall thickness needs to be - it probably uses

2 sheets of 4mm glass, but the separation may be anything from 10mm upwards - it's probably 12mm, making 20mm in all - but you need to check. The height and width also need to be the same as the old unit - slightly smaller than the frame.

When you fit the new unit, that goes in first - presumably from the outside - followed by the snap-in beading. Then the sealing strips are fitted from the inside, and need to be coaxed into the space between the glass and the frame - using something like a paint scraper. These not only provide a seal but are also essential for security - since they prevent the beads from being removed from the outside.

Reply to
Set Square

Its pretty simple. especially as your replacing an existing unit an the rubber seals are already cut to length. If the unit is non openin then just set it on some spacer blocks to get it centralised in th frame and then clip it all back in. If its an opener then you need t wedge the glass in the frame with spacer blocks so that the wieght o the glass doesnt make the opening frame sag, you do this buy wedgin the glass diagonally from the bottom hinge corner to the top "outer corner, much like a ledge and brace door, so that the glass itself act like the brace. When you refit the rubber gaskets be careful not to stretch them or yo will end up with a bit left out, try starting at both ends and work t the middle. If you cut a bit off the gasket will shrink back and you left with a gap. Good luc

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

You've obviously never used an emergency lock-smith

tim

Reply to
tim (moved to sweden)

Depends what part of the country your in, in your case sweden alledgedly?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I got a bill from an emergency lock smith in my UK house when the smoke alarm when off whilst I wan't there.

The neighbours reported it and the fire brigade broke in, or rather the locksmith broke in and they followed.

Of course, there wasn't a fire

170 quid IIRC

tim

Reply to
tim (moved to sweden)

You've obviously never used an emergency lock-smith

tim

A call to the Fire Brigade, telling them that you think the cooker wa left on`is free .

Ala

-- Alwoods

Reply to
Alwoods

To add to what others have said - in fact different brands of double glazing use different methods of fixing the sealed unit in place, and you should copy the method which was used originally. DON'T wedge it in with bits of packing unless they were used before; some units are intended to be held in place with (very) sticky glazing tape. I once had a unit fitted by a so-called pro glazier (using packing); it developed a stress crack after a week or so and it emerged that it was entirely the wrong method of fitting for that type of window.

As someone else said, it's important to get the pane separation correct (ie same as before) because the frame will be designed round that.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Tim,

You have obviously never locked yourself out of the house as darkness was falling, with a disabled wife stuck in a wheelchair getting cold beside you - while you went to a neighbour's house, looked up the phone number for an emergency lock-smith, waited for them to arrive (from God knows where as we are remotish).. and broke in!

;-)

Best wishes,

Keith

Reply to
Keith (Dorset)

I assume, then, you have a car? Why not keep a house key on the car key ring?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure what point you are making.

The only point I made was to query whether the cost (and inconvenience) of breaking a window for oneself, is greater than using a locksmith.

Now I know, a) how much a locksmith costs to call out. b) what he does when he gets there (he breaks in through a window)

I'll be breaking the window.

tim

Reply to
tim (moved to sweden)